Best value 650B wheelset on the market these days

417 views
Skip to first unread message

Josh Zielinski

unread,
Sep 14, 2026, 3:32:50 PMSep 14
to 650b
What's the best value rim brake road hub (~130 spaced) "off the shelf" wheelset available these days?  Are there any?

A few years back, maybe more, I bought Crust set.  It's nice and wasn't super overpriced but a big budget item for me.  Before that I bought all the parts from VO and a friend built me a nice shiny set.  I've also bought a set of Cliffhanger/XT on eBay for a decent deal once.

Aside from Crust set which isn't currently available I've never shopped for a new complete wheelset.

I'd be open to used set but was curious if anyone had any surprise suggestions.

Looking at a few frames kicking around and not really wanting another 28mm shod bike.  They probably won't get ridden often enough to justify fancy stuff.

Thanks,
Josh Z
Oregon 

Will Boericke

unread,
Sep 14, 2026, 3:48:25 PMSep 14
to 650b
Do they exist?  You might find a set at VeloMine.  The Crust is the only one that reliably exists that I know of.

Will

Josh Zielinski

unread,
Sep 14, 2026, 3:49:57 PMSep 14
to Will Boericke, 650b
I don't know, that is my reason for asking.

I hope I am surprised by several options?

Josh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "650b" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to 650b+uns...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/650b/026e39bf-bd8f-4bd0-8c6c-274de06f959an%40googlegroups.com.

daxo potato

unread,
Sep 14, 2026, 4:25:53 PMSep 14
to 650b
Will beat me to it, but velomine, slim pickings these days, even has a section devoted to rim brake 650b.

Dave in NY 


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "650b" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to 650b+uns...@googlegroups.com.

William Lindsay

unread,
Sep 15, 2026, 4:32:37 PMSep 15
to 650b
That Crust wheelset was an exceptionally good value when it was released.  I think something to beat that value is very unlikely in an off-the-shelf wheelset.  Add to that there is essentially no market anymore for a 100/130 650B rim brake wheelset.  Just like there is no market for a 630mm wheelset for 100/120.  We'll have to cobble those things together, IMO.  The great deals will be the second hand market from people who tried a 650B conversion and regret it.  

That Velomine A23 32-hole "track" wheelset is a pretty good price at $307, considering retail on the rims is $113 each.  Buy that wheelset, find an appropriate rear hub, rebuild the rear wheel and sell that nice flip-flop rear hub.  I'd buy the rear hub for $40.  There's apparently two sets of them available...

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Ian A

unread,
Sep 15, 2026, 7:25:25 PMSep 15
to 650b
Not sure how importing from Canada is going these days, but C&L Cycles out of Montreal have some options too for 650b rim brake https://www.clcycle.ca/products/handbuilt-wheel-velo-orange-voyager?variant=45409901772869


IanA Lake Louise AB Canada

Will Boericke

unread,
Sep 15, 2026, 8:17:20 PMSep 15
to Ian A, 650b
I was trying to remember that shop!  But I don't see any wheelsets, just rims.  I believe all of those are available in the US.  CR-18 FTW in terms of price.

Will

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "650b" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/650b/h63NHtjRbq4/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to 650b+uns...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/650b/2f79acfe-c88c-43d4-9f24-08aed39d6d52n%40googlegroups.com.

Jason Gardner

unread,
Sep 16, 2026, 10:15:08 AMSep 16
to 650b
Not sure what price range you're looking for, but Velocity USA builds wheels with their own rims and hubs to order starting in the $500-600 range (depending on rim; they have three 650b rims). They also allow you to choose the spoke count and a few other options.

David Dye

unread,
Sep 16, 2026, 12:11:13 PMSep 16
to 650b
Sta-Tru offers their TR21, TR25, and TR30 rims in 650b for rim brakes. The number is the inner width of the rim. 

They're cheap, reasonably light, wide, and tubeless ready. I haven't seen anything close to the price at $50 per rim. 

You can order direct from them as rims or complete wheelsets start at about $280:


-Dave

Justin, Oakland

unread,
Sep 26, 2026, 1:29:05 AM (5 days ago) Sep 26
to 650b
The Crust rim brake rims were prone to cracking and breaking.

J

unread,
Sep 26, 2026, 8:37:13 AM (5 days ago) Sep 26
to 650b
That's mostly echo chamber BS IMO. Mine have been exceptional for years and their are so many people running them in my friend group who've never had a problem. They are lightweight, so sure could crack if you treat them like MTB wheels or over tighten the spokes, but I've never even had to tru my wheels so far. I'd love to buy another set in 700c but I'd skip the dynamo front this time because the SP8 hasn't been my favorite. . 

lena...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 26, 2026, 10:58:01 PM (4 days ago) Sep 26
to 650b
Thousands of miles on the 650b Crust rims and no issues here. Had the wheels built professionally.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages