~500g 650b 25mm internal width rim for cantis?

Daniel Jackson

Jun 23, 2016, 10:02:50 PM6/23/16
to 650b
Does something like it exist?

The Velocity Cliffhanger might have to suffice, but its about 100g heavier than I'd like...

William Lindsay

Jun 24, 2016, 2:36:57 AM6/24/16
to 650b
Is the HED Belgium Plus too skinny for you? Or too expensive? Both ? I think that is a sweet rim.

Chris Cullum

Jun 24, 2016, 2:43:00 AM6/24/16
to William, 650b

Isn't that rim ~25mm *outside* width, making it ~19mm internal? I think I recall Hahn R saying that the brake track is too narrow. It also seems to be rare or possibly discontinued in 650B size.

On Jun 23, 2016 23:36, "William Lindsay" <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is the HED Belgium Plus too skinny for you?  Or too expensive?  Both ?  I think that is a sweet rim.

Jeff Bertolet

Jun 24, 2016, 11:06:07 AM6/24/16
to 650b
does it need to be tubeless compatible? and are you ok with a narrow-ish brake track. The are some narrow pads (road pads and the Kool Stop thinlines), but it does limit your options somewhat.

Velocity lists the Aileron with other rims for cantis but the pictures definitely look like disc-only.

25mm internal width is very wide, on most frames that would start to cause problems getting the pads to hit the rim squarely unless you were using very wide profile cantis.

Jon Doyle

Jun 24, 2016, 11:52:42 AM6/24/16
to 650b
The 650b super-wide weight weenie rim brake market is underserved.
Is +/-100g noticeable with a big 650b tire?

Mike Schiller

Jun 24, 2016, 11:57:13 AM6/24/16
to 650b
I'd love to find a tubeless compatible 650B rim with even a 21-23 mm inside width.

The Cliffhanger looks a little burly for unloaded riding to me.

~mike
Carlsbad Ca

Justin Hughes

Jun 24, 2016, 1:29:29 PM6/24/16
to 650b
+1 Rims these wide are meant for disc brakes. Canti posts are most often going to be too close to these rims.

J-D Bamford

Jun 26, 2016, 9:19:33 PM6/26/16
to 650b
You really cannot get a larger dimension rim while holding an arbitrarily low weight - unless you have thinner machined sidewalls which wear out from braking sooner. The Velocity Dyad 650b is 24mm outside, I believe. It would hit your weight target but leave you narrow by a couple millimeters in width. Your insistence on the low weight target would basically prevent this rim from existing, or at least in marketable, affordable quantity.

Regarding canti brakes aligning with wide rims - Shimano has some pretty nice medium profile mantis which come with different sets of standoffs (spacers) which helps them align properly/square with a variety of rim widths...

Daniel Jackson

Jun 26, 2016, 10:20:50 PM6/26/16
to 650b
OK so how about ~600g 650b 24mm Internal width rim for cantis?

Would you recommend the Shimano CX70 cantis for such a rim?

Jeff Bertolet

Jun 26, 2016, 10:32:13 PM6/26/16
to 650b
It depends on the frame, specifically the distance from the canti post to the rim. What frame is this that will take large (>2") 650B tires and has canti mounts?

The first iteration of Surly fat bikes had canti mounts. Seeing those tiny little canti calipers on that huge tire, and the resulting sky-high yoke is a little surreal.

Daniel Jackson

Jun 27, 2016, 3:09:16 PM6/27/16
to 650b
It's a custom I'm thinking of building, i.e., the canti mounts can be spaced appropriately.

Might go disc on it, but I really don't want to. The frame will have clearance for Compass Switchback Hills with fenders. I know they don't necessitate a rim this wide, but if it exists I'd like the extra sidewall support for an SBH setup tubeless.

Justin Hughes

Jun 27, 2016, 3:38:27 PM6/27/16
to 650b
Just spec it for discs. If you think it's proving hard to find the rims you're after now consider their availability several years down the road.

William Lindsay

Jun 27, 2016, 3:48:27 PM6/27/16
to 650b
It's looking to me like the Cliffhanger is going to be your rim.  I do like the CX70 brakes, because they do clear the stays or fork blades to allow them to open wide for removing and reinstalling a wheel without having to deflate your tire.  I found them hard to QR, and some others have complained about that.  I filed a corner off the cylindrical cable end to make it easier to QR.  Another thing to note is that they extend past the end of the canti-post, so don't plan on running a traditional front rack that mounts to the canti-posts, unless of course you are going to design and fabricate your own custom rack.  If that's the case, then perhaps you'll figure out a solution

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Justin Hughes

Jun 28, 2016, 9:03:10 AM6/28/16
to 650b
Using the Cliffhangers versus Blunt SS is going to add back the weight saved by cantis over discs; perhaps more. Some people have strong aversions to discs. That's fine, just saying you're really gaining nothing unless you just want to use cantis because.

Daniel Jackson

Jun 28, 2016, 11:42:18 AM6/28/16
to 650b
Cantis Because! Woot Woot!

I'm still considering discs on this frame but trying to resist the temptation.

Mike Schiller

Jun 28, 2016, 1:39:16 PM6/28/16
to 650b
we just need to talk WTB into making a http://www.wtb.com/products/chriscross rim in 650B