Vintage vs. modern randonneuse ride quality

Dirk

Jun 12, 2024, 9:09:18 PMJun 12
to 650b
Could someone with experience riding both comment on how something like a L'avecaise or Boulder compares in ride quality to bikes from the classic builders like Routens, Herse, Singer, Rene Andre, etc.? Thanks!

Ian A

Jun 13, 2024, 12:43:59 AMJun 13
to 650b
This should be posted on the iBob list too. There was a 1950s Herse which did the rounds among other interesting bikes. The discussion might veer toward 1970s sport tourers which have been 650b converted though.

The Rene Herse Cycles (Jan Heine et al) article on "85 Years of Rene Herse" is pertinent. renehersecycles.com/legend/

IanA Kitimat BC

Dirk

Jun 13, 2024, 7:26:17 AMJun 13
to 650b
Thanks, I've sent a request to join that group and will check there.

I'm also very interested in hearing any thoughts on how the Norther-Lyon might compare to the classic French builders.

Brad

Jun 13, 2024, 10:18:36 PMJun 13
to 650b
I think there is a test ride and review in an earlier issue of Bicycle Quarterly where such comparisons are routinely made.

Dirk

Jun 14, 2024, 3:06:16 PMJun 14
to 650b
Ah, unfortunately I don't have a subscription to BQ, but I'd be happy to hear the gist of it, if anyone has it.

Chris Cullum

Jun 14, 2024, 4:44:20 PMJun 14
to Dirk, 650b

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024, 18:09 Dirk <dirkj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Could someone with experience riding both comment on how something like a L'avecaise or Boulder compares in ride quality to bikes from the classic builders like Routens, Herse, Singer, Rene Andre, etc.? Thanks!

If the tubing and geometry are the same (or similar) they will ride the same (or similar). That's how bicycles work.

Ken Freeman

Jun 14, 2024, 7:29:47 PMJun 14
to Ian A, 650b
And send it to CR, I’d want to hear what experts like Garry Della Rosa think.

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA

Toshi Takeuchi

Jun 14, 2024, 8:49:30 PMJun 14
to 650b, Dirk
I think the main difference that I can point to is that modern builds will generally fit wider tires.  Wider tires are definitely welcomed by me for a more comfortable and likely more efficient ride when supple sidewall tires are used (you probably heard about the wide tire story before).

Toshi

Brad

Jun 17, 2024, 4:29:20 PMJun 17
to 650b
Yes, on older frames they seem to max out about Hetre width- 42 x 584.
The Confrerie des 650B supports the production of a 32 x 584 tire.

I think one difference might be between tig welded and brazed frames to the extent that they flex differently.  I can't speak to that since I have always had brazed frames.