Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-04-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 4, 2017, 8:05:03 AM5/4/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 4

Gal 5:8 This persuasion did not come from Him who calls you.

* * *

This is a great consolation and singular doctrine, whereby Paul
shows how the false persuasion of such as are deceived by wicked
teachers may be rooted out of their hearts. The false apostles
were jolly fellows, and in outward appearance far surpassing
Paul, both in learning and godliness. The Galatians, being
deceived with this impressive show, supposed that when they
heard them, they were hearing Christ Himself, and therefore they
judged their persuasion to be of Christ. To the contrary, Paul
shows that this persuasion and doctrine was not of Christ, who
had called them in grace, but of the devil; and by this means he
won many of them back from this false persuasion. Again, this
consolation applies to all those that are afflicted, who,
through temptation, formed a false opinion of Christ. For the
devil is a marvelous persuader, and knows how to amplify the
least sin, yes, an insignificant trifle, in such a way, that he
who is tempted shall think it to be a most heinous and horrible
crime, and worthy of eternal damnation. Here the troubled
conscience must be comforted and raised up, in such a way as
Paul raised up the Galatians; namely, by showing them that this
persuasion comes not of Christ, seeing that it fights against
the Word of the Gospel, which paints Christ for us not as an
accuser, a cruel exactor, but as a meek, humble-hearted, and a
merciful Savior and a Comforter. We must learn, therefore, how
we may withstand this Satan, who transforms himself into the
likeness of an angel.

On Christ, by faith, I fain would live,
From Him my life, my all receive;
To Him devote my fleeting hours,
Serve Him alone with all my powers.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
It isn't whether we win or lose, it is "Do we stand faithfully?"

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-04

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.