Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-14-2017

1 view

Five Minutes with Luther

May 14, 2017, 8:05:04 AM5/14/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 14

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under
the Law.

* * *

Paul cannot forget the doctrine of faith, but repeats it again,
and beats it into their heads; yes, even when he teaches about
good works. Here some may object: How can it be that we should
not be under the Law, when you teach us that we have flesh which
lusts against the Spirit, and fights against us, torments us, and
brings us into bondage? And indeed we feel sin, and cannot be
delivered from the feeling of it. And what is this else but to
be under the Law? But Paul says, Do not let this trouble you;
only endeavor to be led by the Spirit, that is to say, show
yourselves willing to follow and obey that will which resists
the flesh, and does not serve the desires thereof, for this is
to be led and to be drawn by the Spirit; then you are not under
the Law. So Paul speaks of himself: "on the one hand I myself
with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with
my flesh the law of sin" (Rom 7:25). The faithful then are not
under the Law, that is to say, in spirit; for the Law cannot
accuse them, although they feel sin, and confess themselves to
be sinners; for the power and strength of the Law is taken from
it by Christ, "who was born under the Law, in order that He
might redeem those who were under the Law" (Gal 4:4-5). So
great, then, is the power and dominion of the Spirit, that the
Law cannot accuse the godly, though they commit that which is
sin indeed. For Christ is our righteousness, whom we apprehend
by faith. He is totally without sin, and therefore the Law
cannot accuse Him. As long as we hold fast to Him, we are led
by the Spirit and are free from the Law.

Savior, I follow on,
Guided by Thee,
Seeing not yet the hand
That leadeth me;
Hushed be my heart and still,
Fear I no further ill,
Only to meet Thy will
My will shall be.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
To be Lutheran is to be Christian -- and Vice Versa!

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-14

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.