Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 04-30-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

Apr 30, 2017, 8:05:03 AM4/30/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

April 30

Gal 5:4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking
to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

* * *

Here Paul shows that he is not speaking simply about the Law, nor
just about the works of circumcision, but of the faith and
doctrine, that men have to be justified by it. He writes to
this effect: I do not utterly condemn the Law or circumcision —
it is permissible for me to keep company with the Jews,
according to the Law, and it is permissible for me to circumcise
Timothy — but to seek to be justified by the Law, as if Christ
had not yet come, or being present, He alone were not enough to
justify, that is what I condemn; for to believe that is to be
separated from Christ. To seek righteousness by the Law is
nothing other than to be separated from Christ, and to treat Him
as if He were of no value whatsoever. That is why it is
impossible that Christ and the Law should dwell together in one
heart. If you think that this is possible, then you may be sure
that Christ is not dwelling in your heart but the devil in the
likeness of Christ, accusing and terrifying you, and exacting
from you the Law and the works of the Law. For the true Christ
does not call you to a reckoning for your sins, nor does He bid
you to trust in your own works. And the true knowledge of
Christ, or faith, does not dispute whether you have done good
works in order to obtain righteousness or evil works leading to
condemnation, but simply concludes thus: If I have done good
works, I am not by that fact justified; or, if I have done evil
works, I am not by that fact condemned. In the matter of
justification we must seek how we may hold Christ, for it is
Christ alone who justifies, both over against evil deeds, and
without doing any good deeds.

'Tis not by works of righteousness
Which our own hands have done, -
But we are saved by sovereign grace
Abounding through His Son.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
It isn't whether we win or lose, it is "Do we stand faithfully?"

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-04-30

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.