Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-19-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 19, 2017, 8:05:05 AM5/19/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 19

Gal 6:2 Bear one another's burdens, and thus fulfill the law of
Christ.

* * *

The law of Christ is the law of love. Christ, after He had
redeemed us, renewed us, and made us His Church, gave us no
other law but the law of mutual love: "A new commandment give I
you, that you love one another." (John 13:34). And to love is
not to wish well one to another, but it is to bear another's
burden, that is, to bear those things which are grievous and
which you do not willingly bear. Therefore Christians must have
strong shoulders, that they may bear also the weakness of their
brethren; for, says Paul, they have burdens and troubles.
Faithful teachers see in the Church many errors and offenses
which they are compelled to bear. In the commonwealth subjects
are never so obedient to the laws of the magistrates as they
should be. In household affairs many things are done which
displease the master of the house. But if we bear and wink at
our own vices and offenses which we daily commit, let us also
bear other men's faults, according to this saying: "Bear one
another's burdens," and "you shall love your neighbor as
yourself." (Rom 13:9). Seeing then that there are vices in
every state of life and in all men, therefore Paul sets forth
the law of Christ for the faithful, whereby he exhorts them to
bear one another's burden. They who willingly hear the Word of
God and believe, and yet notwithstanding, against their will,
fall into sin, and, after they are admonished, do not only
receive such admonition gladly, but also detest their sin and
endeavor to amend, these are they that are overtaken with sin,
and have the burdens that Paul commends us to bear.

We share our mutual woes;
Our mutual burdens bear;
And often for each other flows
The sympathizing tear.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
It isn't whether we win or lose, it is "Do we stand faithfully?"

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-19

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.