Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-08-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 8, 2017, 8:05:03 AM5/8/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 8

Gal 5:12 I would that those who are troubling you would even
mutilate themselves.

* * *

Is this the part of an Apostle, not only to denounce the false
apostles to be troublers of the church, to condemn them, and to
deliver them to Satan, but also to wish that they might be
utterly rooted out and perish? And what is this else but plain
cursing? Paul, no doubt, alludes to circumcision. It is as if
he means to say, They compel you to cut off the foreskin of your
flesh; but I would that they themselves might be utterly cut off
by the root. Here some would ask whether it is lawful for
Christians to curse. I say, why not? However, not always, not
for every cause; but when God's Word is spoken evil of, and His
doctrine blasphemed, and so consequently God Himself, then must
we turn to this sentence and say: Blessed be God and His Word,
and whatsoever is without God, let it be accursed. Here we can
see how great a matter Paul made of a little leaven, concerning
which he dares to curse the false apostles, who in outward
appearance were men of great authority and holiness. Let us not
therefore deal with the leaven of doctrine make as though it is
of little account; although it be ever so little, still if we
neglect it, it will be the cause that little by little the truth
and our salvation shall be lost, and God Himself denied. For
when the Word is corrupted and God denied and blasphemed (which
must necessarily follow if the Word is corrupted), there remains
no hope of salvation. For this reason let us learn to advance
and extol the majesty and authority of God's Word. Therefore,
when it comes to this, we are bound by no concern for Christian
love or concord, but we sit, as it were, on the judgment-seat,
that is to say, we curse and condemn all men who in the least
point deface or corrupt the majesty of God's Word.

Those haughty spirits, Lord, restrain,
Who o'er Thy Church with might would reign,
And always set forth something new
Devised to change Thy doctrine true.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
It isn't whether we win or lose, it is "Do we stand faithfully?"

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-08

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.