Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-02-2017

1 view

Five Minutes with Luther

May 2, 2017, 8:05:03 AM5/2/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 2

Gal 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor
uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.

* * *

"Faith working through love"; that is, faith which is not feigned
or hypocritical, but true and lively, which exercises and
requires good works through love. Paul would here say: He that
would be a true Christian indeed, or a member of Christ̓s
kingdom, must be a true believer. Now, he does not truly
believe, if works of love do not follow his faith. Thus on both
hands, as well on the right hand as on the left, he shuts out
hypocrites from Christ̓s kingdom. On the left hand he
shuts out the Jews, and all such as will work their own
salvation, saying: "In Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor
uncircumcision means anything"; that is to say, no works, no
service, no worshipings, no kind of life in the world, but faith
without any trust in works or merits, avails before God. On the
right hand he shuts out all slothful and idle persons, who say,
If faith justifies without works, then let us do no works, but
let us only believe, and do what we wish. Not so, says Paul.
Although it is true that only faith justifies, yet he speaks
here of faith in another respect; that is to say, after it has
justified one, it is not idle, but occupied and exercised in
working through love. The true Christian life, he points out,
consists inwardly in faith towards God, and outwardly in charity
and good works toward our neighbor.

May Thy rich grace impart
Strength to my fainting heart,
My zeal inspire;
As Thou hast died for me,
O may my love to Thee
Pure, warm, and changeless be
A living fire.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
It isn't whether we win or lose, it is "Do we stand faithfully?"

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-02

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.