Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-22-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 22, 2017, 8:05:03 AM5/22/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 22

Gal 6:5 For each one shall bear his own burden.

* * *

This is, as it were, the reason or confirmation of the former
sentence, lest any man should lean to other men's judgments in
praising and commending of him. This is like saying: It is not
good for you to seek glory from another, and not from within
yourself; for in the agony of death, and the last judgment, it
shall not profit you that others have praised you; for other men
shall not bear your burden, but you must stand before the
judgment seat of Christ and bear your burden alone. These your
praisers shall not help you at all. For when you die, their
praises will cease. And in that day, when the Lord will judge
the secrets of all hearts, the witness of your own conscience
must stand either with you or against you (Rom 2:15). Against
you, if you find your glory in the opinions of other men; with
you, if you have found it in yourself, that is; if your
conscience bears witness that you have done your duty in the
ministry of the Word, or otherwise, according to your calling,
sincerely and faithfully, having respect for the glory of God
only and the salvation of souls. These words: "Each one shall
bear his own burden," are very vehement and ought so to terrify
us that we should not be desire empty glory. Our ministry is
good and sound, for we seek thereby the salvation of souls. But
the ministry of the fantastical heads is not so, for they seek
their own praise. Paul speaks so much against this vice of
vain-glory, because when it comes to suppressing it no man is so
strong, but that he has need of continual prayer, and only the
Holy Ghost can preserve us from being infected with this vice.

On what has now been sown,
Thy blessing, Lord, bestow;
The power is Thine alone
To make it spring and grow:
Do Thou in grace harvest raise,
And Thou alone shalt have the praise.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
It isn't whether we win or lose, it is "Do we stand faithfully?"

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-22

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.