Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-07-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 7, 2017, 8:05:05 AM5/7/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 7

Gal 5:11 But I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why
am I still persecuted? Then the stumbling block of the cross
has been abolished.

* * *

Paul labors by all means possible to call the Galatians back
again, and now reasons by means of his own example. I have
obtained for myself, he says, the hatred and persecution of the
priests and elders, and of my whole nation, because I take away
righteousness from circumcision; which, if I would attribute to
it, the Jews would not only cease to persecute me, but also
would love and highly commend me. But now, because I preach the
Gospel of Christ, and the righteousness of faith, abolishing the
law and circumcision, therefore I suffer persecution. On the
other hand, the false apostles, to avoid the cross and this
deadly hatred of the Jewish nation, preach circumcision; and by
this means they obtain and retain the favor of the Jews. More
to the point, they would gladly bring to pass that there should
be no dissension, but peace and concord, between the Gentiles
and the Jews. But that is impossible to be done without the
loss of the doctrine of faith, which is the doctrine of the
cross, and full of offenses, Paul says: "Christ sent me to
preach the Gospel, not in cleverness of speech, that the cross
of Christ should not be made void." He might as well have said,
I would do not want the offense and cross of Christ to be
abolished. Here some may say: The Christians then are madmen to
cast themselves into danger of their own accord, and obtain for
themselves the hatred and enmity of the whole world. But this
does not offend or trouble Paul, instead, it makes him more
bold, and causes him to hope for the happy success and increase
of the Church, for it could not be otherwise than that Christ
should reign in the midst of all His enemies.

If thou but suffer God to guide thee,
And hope in Him through all His ways,
He'll give thee strength, what'er betide thee,
And bear thee through the evil days;
Who trusts in God's unchanging love
Builds on the rock that naught can move.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
Lutheran to the core -- and just a little beyond.

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-07

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.