Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-06-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 6, 2017, 8:05:03 AM5/6/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 6

Gal 5:10 I have confidence in you in the Lord, that you will
adopt no other view; but the one who is disturbing you shall
bear his judgment, whoever he is.

* * *

This is as if he would say, I have taught, admonished, and
reproved you enough so that you should listen to me:
nevertheless, I hope well for you in the Lord. Here some raise
a question, whether Paul does well when he says he has a good
hope or trust in the Galatians, seeing the Holy Scripture
forbids any trust to be put in men. Both faith and love have
their trust and belief, but different sorts, on account of the
difference between their objects. Faith trusts in God, and
therefore it cannot be deceived; love believes men, and
therefore is often deceived. Now this faith that springs from
love is necessary to this present life, for if one man would not
believe and trust another, what sort of life would we live upon
earth? The true Christians do sooner believe and give credit
through love, than the children of this world do. For faith
towards men is a fruit of the Spirit, or of Christian Faith in
the godly. In this place, Paul had a trust in the Galatians,
yes, even though they were fallen from his doctrine: but still
in the Lord. That is, so far as the Lord was in them and they
in the Lord; in other words, as long as they abode in the truth.
But, if they fell away from the truth, seduced by the ministers
of Satan, he would trust them no more. Paul has a good hope
that they will not receive any other doctrine which shall be
contrary to his. But those who were troubling the Galatians
would bear their condemnation, no matter how important they were
in the eyes of men, for one little point of doctrine is of more
value than heaven and earth.

Courage then, for all things must
Work for good, and bless us,
If we but in prayerful trust
To His Son address us.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
To be Lutheran is to be Christian -- and Vice Versa!

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-06

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.