Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 04-29-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

Apr 29, 2017, 8:05:04 AM4/29/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

April 29

Gal 5:3 And I testify again to every man who receives
circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law.

* * *

The first injury borne is indeed very great, where Paul says that
Christ is of no benefit to them who are circumcised. Then he
adds this also, he says that they who are circumcised are under
obligation to keep the whole Law. These words may be expounded
in two ways, negatively and affirmatively. Negatively in this
way: Paul testifies that every man who is circumcised performs
no piece of the Law; yes, that in the very work of circumcision
he actually is not circumcised, and even by the fulfilling of
the Law, he actually does not fulfill it but transgresses
against it. This is Paul's simple and plain meaning. In the
sixth chapter he explains himself thusly: "Those who are
circumcised, do not even keep the Law themselves." So also in
the third chapter: "for as many are of the works of the Law, are
under a curse." He means to say: "Although you are circumcised,
yet you are not righteous and free from the Law; and the more
you work at satisfying the Law, and try to be set free by means
of it, the more you entangle and snare yourselves in the burden
of it, so that it has more power to accuse and condemn you. The
affirmative exposition is this: He that is circumcised is also
obligated to keep the entire Law. For anyone who accepts Moses
in one point, must of necessity accept him in every point. And
it helps not one whit to say that circumcision is necessary, and
not the rest of Moses' Laws, For by precisely the same reason
that you are bound to keep the Law of circumcision, you are also
bound to keep all of the Jewish ceremonies and Laws concerning
foods, and places, and festivals; and Christ must be looked for
as yet to come.

know that sin and guilt combine
To reign o'er every thought of mine,
And turn from good to ill;
I know that when I try to be
Upright, and just, and true to Thee,
I am a sinner still!

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
It isn't whether we win or lose, it is "Do we stand faithfully?"

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-04-29

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.