Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-23-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 23, 2017, 8:05:03 AM5/23/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 23

Gal 6:6 And let the one who is taught the word share all good
things with him who teaches.

* * *

Here Paul preaches to the disciples or hearers of the Word,
commanding them to bestow all good things upon those which have
taught and instructed them in the Word. He here shows how
necessary this commandment is concerning the maintenance of the
ministers of the Church. For Satan can abide nothing less than
the light of the Gospel. Therefore, when he sees that it begins
to shine, then he rages and goes about with all main and might to
quench it. Moreover, Satan turns men particularly also from the
Gospel by excessive fullness. For when the Gospel is diligently
and daily preached, many being satiated therewith begin to loathe
it, and little by little become negligent and untoward to all
godly behaviors. Again, Satan seeks to prevent parents from
bringing up their children in the study of the Holy Scriptures,
but to employ them rather entirely to remunerative arts or
occupations. It is not without cause, therefore, that Paul
warns the hearers of the Gospel to make their pastors and
teachers partakers with them in all good things. "If we (he
says to the Corinthians) sowed spiritual things in you, is it
too much if we should reap material things from you?" (I Cor
9:11)? The hearers thereof ought to minister material things to
them from whom they have received spiritual things. For it is
impossible that those that are godly indeed should permit their
pastors to live in need and poverty.

Oh, may Thy people faithful be,
And in Thy pastors honor Thee,
And with them work, and for them pray,
And gladly Thee in them obey;
Receive the prophet of the Lord,
And gain the prophet̓s own reward!

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
To be Lutheran is to be Christian -- and Vice Versa!

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-23

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.