Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-18-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 18, 2017, 8:05:04 AM5/18/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 18

Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be caught in any trespass, you who
are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of gentleness;
each one looking to yourself, lest you too be tempted.

* * *

He who diligently weighs these words of the Apostle may plainly
perceive that he does not speak of errors and offenses against
doctrine, but of far lesser sins, into which a man does not fall
willfully and deliberately, but out of weakness. And therefore
he uses such gentle language, calling it a trespass, not error.
Again, wishing to diminish, and as it were, to excuse the sin and
to remove the whole fault from man, he adds: "If a man be
caught," that is to say, beguiled by the devil or by the flesh.
This is a sentence full of heavenly comfort. Forasmuch as the
saints in this life not only live in the flesh, but now and then
also, through the enticement of the devil, fulfill the lust of
the flesh, that is to say, fall into impatience, envy, wrath,
error, doubting, distrust, and the like (for Satan always
assails both, the purity of doctrine, which he labors to take
away by sects and dissensions, and also the soundness of life,
which he corrupts with daily offenses) ; therefore Paul teaches
how such men who are fallen should be dealt with, namely; that
they who are strong should raise up and restore them again with
the spirit of gentleness. As the Holy Ghost is precise in
maintaining and defending the doctrine of faith, so is He mild
and full of pity in forbearing and qualifying men's sins, if
they who have committed them are also sorrowful for them.
"There is no sin," says Augustine, "which any man has done, but
another man may do the same." We stand on slippery ground;
therefore if we wax proud and forget to do our duty, there is
nothing so easy for us as to fall.

In sinful wrath thou shalt not kill,
Nor hate, nor render ill for ill;
Be patient and of gentle mood,
And to thy foe do thou good.
Have mercy, Lord!

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
Lutheran to the core -- and just a little beyond.

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-18

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.