Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-12-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 12, 2017, 8:05:04 AM5/12/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 12

Gal 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry
out the desire of the flesh.

* * *

Paul explains to this effect: I have not forgotten my former
discourse concerning faith, neither do I revoke it in that I
exhort you to mutual love, saying that "the whole Law is
fulfilled through love," but I am still of the same mind and
opinion that I was before. But that you may rightly understand
me, I add this in addition: "Walk by the Spirit, and you will
not carry out the desire of the flesh." Paul speaks plainly
enough, yet he has not prevailed. There are those who gather
from his words this interpretation: If love is the fulfilling of
the Law, it follows then that love is righteousness; therefore if
we love, we are righteous. The Law has commanded love, therefore
the work of love follows. But Paul's answer to such is: It is
true that we ought to fulfill the Law, and to be justified
through the fulfilling thereof; but sin hinders us. Indeed, the
Law prescribes and commands that we should love our neighbor as
ourselves, but it does not automatically follow: This is
written, therefore it is done; the Law commands love, therefore
we love. There is not one man to be found upon the whole earth,
who loves God and his neighbor as the Law requires. But in the
life to come, where we shall be thoroughly cleansed from all
vices and sins, and shall be made as pure and clear as the sun,
we shall love perfectly, and shall be righteous through perfect
love. But in this life that purity is hindered by the flesh,
for as long as we live, sin remains in the flesh. In the
meantime notwithstanding, that we may be righteous in this life
also, we have Christ the mercy-seat and throne of grace, and
because we believe in Him, sin is not imputed unto us. Faith,
therefore, is our righteousness in this life.

Guard, O God, our faith forever;
Let not Satan, death or shame
Ever part us from our Savior;
Lord, our Refuge is Thy name.
Though our flesh would fain say. Nay,
Be Thy Word to us still Yea.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
It isn't whether we win or lose, it is "Do we stand faithfully?"

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-12

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.