Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-20-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 20, 2017, 8:05:05 AM5/20/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 20

Gal 6:3 For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is
nothing, he deceives himself.

* * *

Here again Paul reprehends the authors of sects, and paints them
out in their right colors; namely, that they are merciless,
without compassion, those that despise the weak and will not
stoop to bear their burdens, whom nothing can please but what
they themselves do, who will always be your bitter enemies,
unless you praise whatever they say or do and in all things
conduct yourself according to their will. Of all men,
therefore, they are the proudest and dare take upon themselves
all things. Of these Paul says they think themselves to be
something when they are nothing. They deceive themselves with
the foolish persuasions of their own wisdom and holiness. They
understand nothing, therefore, either of Christ or of the law of
Christ; for if they did, they would say: Brother, you are
infected with such-and-such a vice, and I am infected with
another. God has forgiven me ten thousand talents, and I will
forgive you an hundred pence (Matt 18:24-28). Pastors ought so
to behave themselves toward those over whom they have taken
charge, that they might love and reverence them, not for their
person, but for their office and Christian virtues, which
especially ought to shine in them. Paul therefore, in this
place, has rightly painted out such severe and merciless saints
who, being puffed up with their own vain dreams, have a
marvelous persuasion of their own knowledge and holiness, and
yet in very deed they are nothing, and merely but deceive
themselves.

Bow down Thine ear, almighty Lord,
And hear Thy Church's suppliant cry
For all who preach Thy saving Word,
And wait upon Thy ministry.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
Lutheran to the core -- and just a little beyond.

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-20

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.