Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 04-24-2017

1 view

Five Minutes with Luther

Apr 24, 2017, 8:05:04 AM4/24/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

April 24

Gal 4:29 But as at that time he who was born according to the
flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so it
is now also.

* * *

This place contains a singular consolation. All those that are
born and live in Christ, and rejoice in this birth and
inheritance of God, have Ishmael for their enemy and their
persecutor. For this reason we ought diligently to learn the
article of justification, for that alone is able to support us
against these infinite slanders and offenses, and to comfort us
in all our temptations and persecutions. We see that it cannot
be otherwise but that the world will be offended with the pure
doctrine of the Gospel, and continually cry out that no -good
comes from it. For "the natural man does not accept the things
of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness to him" (1 Cor
2:14). He only beholds the outward evils, troubles, rebellions,
murders, sects, and other such things. With these sights he is
offended and blinded, and finally falls into contempt and
blaspheming of God and His Word. On the contrary, we ought to
stay and comfort ourselves in this, that our adversaries do not
accuse and condemn us for any manifest wickedness which we have
committed, but for our doctrine, that Christ the Son of God,
that by His death on the cross, has redeemed us from our sins
and from everlasting death. Therefore they do not criticize our
life, but our doctrine; yes, and the doctrine is Christ's and not
ours. Therefore if there is any offense, it is Christ's offense
and not ours. Now whether or not they will condemn Christ, and
pluck Him out of heaven as a heretic and seditious person for
this, that He is our only Justifier and Savior, well, that is
their affair.

Are there no foes for me to face?
Must I not stem the flood?
Is this vile world a friend to grace,
To help me on to God?

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
It isn't whether we win or lose, it is "Do we stand faithfully?"

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-04-24

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.