Five Minutes a Day with Luther - 05-15-2017

Five Minutes with Luther

May 15, 2017, 8:05:03 AM5/15/17
to 5m...@googlegroups.com
FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH LUTHER

** Now available in book form: http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php **

May 15

Gal 5:19-21 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are:
immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities,
strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions,
factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like
these, of which I forewarn you just as I have forewarned you
that those who practice such things shall not inherit the
kingdom of God.

* * *

This passage is not unlike this saying of Christ: "You will know
them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes,
nor figs from thistles, are they? Even so, every good tree bears
good fruit; but the bad tree bears bad fruit." (Matt 7:16- 17).
Paul teaches the very same thing which Christ taught, that is to
say, that works and fruits sufficiently testify whether the trees
are good or evil; whether men follow the guiding of the flesh or
of the Spirit. And then Paul sets before their eyes the works
of the flesh. There were many hypocrites among the Galatians,
who outwardly pretended to be godly men, and boasted a great
deal about the Spirit, and, as far as words go, they understood
the true doctrine of the Gospel; but they did not walked
according to the Spirit, but according to the flesh, and
performed the works of it. Whereby Paul manifestly demonstrates
that they are not the holy men indeed that they boasted
themselves to be. And lest they should ignore this his
admonition, he pronounces against them this dreadful judgment,
that they would not be inheritors of the kingdom of heaven, to
the end that, being thus admonished, they might amend. They who
are of Christ crucify their flesh with the affections and lusts
thereof.

O watch, and fight, and pray,
The battle ne'er give o'er;
Renew it boldly every day,
And help divine implore.

---
Cuda.
aka Pastor Robin Fish
It isn't whether we win or lose, it is "Do we stand faithfully?"

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/5mins.php?d=2017-05-15

These daily readings are now available in book form;
read about it at http://lcmssermons.com/about5mins.php.