interest in graduate courses

1 view

William Stein

Apr 14, 2009, 2:24:15 AM4/14/09
to 583-...@googlegroups.com, nt...@groups.google.com, Sandor Kovacs, Wenhan Wang, Robert Miller, Robert Bradshaw, Craig Citro, Rekha Thomas, Paul Smith, John Palmieri, Sara Billey, James Allen Morrow, Neal Koblitz
Hello,

If you will be a UW grad student next year (or have students you
advise), please let me know what *your* personal interest level is
like in the following graduate topics course ideas, some subset of
which the number theory group is considering proposing. Feel free to
respond off-list directly to (wst...@gmail.com) to keep your answers
anonymous. But please respond ASAP, since course proposals are due
Wednesday!

* Ralph Greenberg -- Representation theory of finite groups
* Ralph Greenberg -- Introduction to classical iwasawa theory (theoretical)
* Ralph Greenberg or Craig Citro -- $p$-adic $L$-functions (Craig's
version would be more computational)
* Craig Citro -- Introduction to modular forms
* William Stein -- Advanced problem solving using mathematical
software (graduate level)
* William Stein -- Algorithms for elliptic curves (a first course on
computing with elliptic curves)
* William Stein -- Galois cohomology (systematic treatment of Galois
cohomlogy, from Serre's book; also some Etale cohomology from Mazur's
article).

Thanks!!

-- William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics

Sourav Sen Gupta

Apr 14, 2009, 2:34:07 AM4/14/09
to 583-...@googlegroups.com
Hi William ...

I will be interested in the following courses next year ...

> * Ralph Greenberg -- Introduction to classical iwasawa theory (theoretical)
> * Craig Citro -- Introduction to modular forms
> * William Stein -- Algorithms for elliptic curves (a first course on
> computing with elliptic curves)

Best ...
Sourav

Sourav Sen Gupta
PhD Candidate (Mathematics)
University of Washington
Phone: +1 (206) 962-1437 (Cell)
http://www.souravsengupta.com

Dan Shumow

Apr 14, 2009, 12:13:20 PM4/14/09
to 583-...@googlegroups.com
I would be able to convince the soft to pay for, and I would try very
hard to take any of the four following courses next year:

> * Ralph Greenberg -- Representation theory of finite groups
> * William Stein -- Advanced problem solving using mathematical
> software (graduate level)
> * William Stein -- Algorithms for elliptic curves (a first course on
> computing with elliptic curves)
> * William Stein -- Galois cohomology (systematic treatment of Galois
> cohomlogy, from Serre's book; also some Etale cohomology from Mazur's
> article).

-D