Re: today

William Stein

May 5, 2009, 1:44:05 PM5/5/09
to boo...@u.washington.edu, Sourav Sen Gupta, Alyson Deines, 583-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 8:44 AM, <boo...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 May 2009, William Stein wrote:
>> Tom B.: We're meeting for some reason at 2:00 today.   I can't remember
>> why.
>
> Aly and Sourav will be there too.  We want to discuss projects for your 583
> class.

Here are some project ideas:

COMPUTATIONAL PROJECTS:

* Compute some Heegner points on elliptic curves over QQ.

* Compute a Heegner point on the rank 0 abelian variety J_0(23) over
C (as an element of CC^2/Period lattice).

* Compute the *height* of a single Heegner points using Gross-Zagier
formula on the *rank 2* abelian variety A (of dimension 2) that is a
factor of J_0(67). To apply Gross-Zagier will require knowing the
volume of the period lattice, which currently requires Magma (but see
below).

* Compute some sort of multigraph or other combinatorial structure
associated to intersections of all subsets of {A_f : f is a newform of
level dividing N}. Due this for N < 100, say. There is code in Sage
already to compute the intersections, so just need to run it, store
the results, decide what they are combinatorially, make
tables/pictures.

* Compute the *period lattice* associated to a newform of degree > 1.
There is no code in Sage to do this yet, but there is code in Magma
(that I wrote), and the algorithm is described in my thesis and
Cremona's book. It involves summing some infinite series numerically.
Giving error bounds (hence provable correct precision) would be
pretty cool, since I never did that.

* Search for an abelian variety A_f^{\dual} in J_0(N) with End(A_f)
=/= O_f. "Study" that A_f if you find one. Otherwise, remark that
you didn't find any for N up to some bound.

* Implement computing isogenies between elliptic curves (Dan Shumow
is working on this).

THEORETICAL PROJECTS:

* Write a paper on the possibilities for End(A_f/Q) and
End(A_f/Qbar). You would (1) prove that for any simple abelian
variety A over Q, we have that End(A/Q) is a finitely generated
abelian group of rank at most dim(A), and (2) state (without proof)
what Ribet proves about End(A_f/Qbar).

* Write a paper explaining how X_0(N) has a complex structure.
I.e., explain carefully how the orbits for the extended upper half
plane under the action of Gamma_0(N) has a complex structure of
oriented Riemann surface. Possibly make some general remarks about
the different types of complex uniformizations of Riemann surfaces in
general.

* Explain why if ord( L(f,s) ) = 1 ====> Sha_an is in QQ. Doing
all the details is hundreds of page.

William Stein

May 11, 2009, 12:00:14 PM5/11/09
to Alyson Deines, 583-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Alyson Deines <aly.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   Project wise I would like to work on:

>   * Write a paper explaining how X_0(N) has a complex structure.
> I.e., explain carefully how the orbits for the extended upper half
> plane under the action of Gamma_0(N) has a complex structure of
> oriented Riemann surface.  Possibly make some general remarks about
> the different types of complex uniformizations of Riemann surfaces in
> general.
>    Has anyone already chosen this project?  I can pick a different one if
> that is the case.

I don't think anybody has chosen that project. Sounds good!

William