Fwd: talk next Thursday, Oct 13, at MSR

1 view

William Stein

Oct 6, 2011, 6:06:43 PM10/6/11
to 581g...@googlegroups.com, Neal Koblitz
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kristin Lauter <kla...@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM
Subject: talk next Thursday, Oct 13, at MSR
To: "nt...@googlegroups.com" <nt...@googlegroups.com>,
"581g...@googlegroups.com" <581g...@googlegroups.com>

Next Thursday, Oct. 13 there will be a colloquium talk at Microsoft
Research that should be of interest to number theorists.

You are invited to attend...
WHO:            Joppe Bos
AFFILIATION:    EPFL
TITLE:                  How to solve a 112-bit ECDLP using game consoles
WHEN:           Thu 10/13/2011
WHERE:          99/1927 Research Lecture Room B
TIME:                   1:30PM-3PM
HOST:           Peter Montgomery, XCG
MSRNS:          For Live/On Demand viewing availability check http://resnet/msrn
ABSTRACT:
In this presentation I will outline two projects which I have been
working on during my PhD.
Both projects are related to the elliptic curve discrete logarithm
problem (ECDLP): the theoretical foundation of many modern
cryptosystems.
First I will outline how we have set a new record by solving the ECDLP
over a 112-bit prime field using a cluster of PlayStation 3 game
consoles in 2009.
Next, the negation map optimization is discussed: this is an technique
to speed up the Pollard rho method when solving the ECDLP. It is well
known that the random walks used by Pollard rho when combined with the
negation map get trapped in fruitless cycles. I will present that
previously published approaches to deal with this problem are plagued
by recurring cycles: effective alternative countermeasures are
proposed.

BIO:
Joppe Bos is a PhD student under supervision of Prof. Arjen Lenstra at
the laboratory for cryptologic algorithms, EPFL, Switzerland. His
research interest include public-key cryptanalysis, fast arithmetic
and efficient implementations of cryptologic algorithms with a focus
on elliptic curve cryptography and integer factorization algorithms.
Currently he is doing an internship with Peter Montgomery at MSR and
works on factoring large integers using graphics cards.