Message on the 60th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

1 view

May181980

Dec 9, 2008, 8:07:33 PM12/9/08
to 518sol...@googlegroups.com

Message on the 60th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the

Laureates of the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights Award

We, the Laureates of the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights Award, uphold the goals of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights affirm its 60th Anniversary call for dignity and justice for all.

We extol the heroism of those who sacrificed and offered their lives during the 1980 Gwangju Democratic Uprising for which our own effort and achievements of defending human rights in our country were recognized.

We continue to recognize the relevance of the UDHR today as it was 60 years ago since the stipulated fundamental freedoms that it invoke continues to be disregarded and neglected by Governments who lack the political will to implement them.

We affirm the importance and continued promotion of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) so that there won't be anymore Gwangju Democratic Uprising and other tyrannies or dictatorship to happen again that tramples on the rights and freedom of the people.

We call on world's heads of state and government to recommit themselves in realizing the vision of the Declaration.

We ask for stronger solidarity among civil society groups and leaders both local and international to protect the freedom and rights of all people especially the marginalized sectors in the society.

Please visit and check these links:

Gwangju Prize Winners' Statement - http://518.org/eng/html/main.html?act=dtl&TM18MF=05020000&idx=413&page=1

Mr. Muneer Malik's Message - http://518.org/eng/html/main.html?act=dtl&TM18MF=05020000&idx=412&page=1

Dr. Lenin Raghuvanshi's Message - http://518.org/eng/html/main.html?act=dtl&TM18MF=05020000&idx=410&page=1

(please pass around)

Chanho Kim
Director
Culture and Solidarity Team
Email: surn...@hanmail.net
Mobile: +82 10 4642 6650

Addresses:
The May 18 Memorial Foundation
5.18 Memorial Culture Hall
Seo-Gu, Sangmudong 1268
Postcode  502-260
Gwangju, Republic of Korea
Phone: +82 62 456 0518
Fax. +82 62 456 0519
Email: 518...@gmail.com
Website : eng.518.org
Blog: 518solidarity.blogspot.com
          518interns.blogspot.com
          518folkschool.blogspot.com
          themay18.wordpress.com

This is the official email address of the Culture and Solidarity Team,