PPDD Message/Statement on the 60th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

an...@peoplespartner.org

Dec 10, 2008, 1:32:54 AM12/10/08
to May181980, 518sol...@googlegroups.com
Dear Comrades, Friends and Colleagues:

Honoring the International Human Rights Day Entails Calling for Respect for Human Rights, Freedom and Democracy in Burma!!!!

Today is a momentous day for the world. This marks the 6oth birthday of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), - an emblem that gives hope to the peoples of the world that indeed there is such a thing as human rights being honored and recognized by most people and gives hope to all of us, that indeed to a greater extent, we have that chance to live in a world free from atrocities against human dignity. But this very hope is precisely the very challenged that Burma as a country is facing since time immemorial. Ironically, until today aside from political crackdowns against the democratic forces of Burma, serious human rights violations and humanitarian crises continue unabated in this country. Military abuses, including forced labor, forced relocation and violence against women, children are systematically committed. This is indeed an obvious indication that the Burmese military junta has remained unyielding to the prospect of democracy flourishing in Burma.

Nonetheless, hopes for democratic changes remain alive in the hearts of the citizens of Burma who believes that democracy is the only remedy for the many sufferings that the country and the people are facing today. Many have given up their lives and others languish in jails for that belief.

Given such an aspiration, it is but imperative to look at the different areas by which democratic changes could be made in Burma. This is not only for us to understand the plight of the Burmese people, but also for us as part of the international community to locate where are we already in our collective efforts towards human rights and democracy in the world. As peoples of the world who believe and value DEMOCRACY, FREEDOM, and HUMAN RIGHTS and their ideals, it is but our responsibility to see that these principles where ever in the world, in Burma for that matter, no matter what’s the cost, will and must TRIUMPH!!! As what Aung San Suu Kyi’s always advocates as a call upon the nations of the world,

“PLEASE USE YOUR FREEDOM AND LIBERTY TO PROMOTE OURS”!!!

We in Peoples Partner for Development and Democracy (PPDD), as an organization and as part of the international community working on Burma issues, we stand today, we commemorate the “International Human Rights Day” by reminding the military junta that authoritarian/military dictatorship governments like that in Burma will not last. We stand today to proclaim our solidarity with the Burmese people in their fight and struggle toward the triumph and respect for human rights and democracy in their country. We urge the Burmese military to stop hostilities and human rights violations against its people.

Today as we celebrate the International Human Rights Day - the embodiment of peace, freedom and democracy, let us be united in raising the banner of FREEDOM. Let us be in solidarity with the rest of the world in the struggles towards the triumph of DEMOCRACY in Burma and in the world.

Our Solidarity in the Struggles for Freedom and Democracy of the Burmese people continues…

Anna Malindog
Executive Director
PPDD