511 Transit Data Feeds Rate Limit

Aditya Ramani

Dec 1, 2023, 4:27:40 PM12/1/23
to 511sfbaydevel...@googlegroups.com
Hello - we are a digital signage provide and would like to use the GTFS-RT feeds for the operators you provide. We would need a higher rate limit, so we can refresh the GTFS-RT data every few minutes.

Cheers,
Adi

 Aditya Ramani | a...@thebulletin.io | 773 580 5665

Mengjie Han

Dec 2, 2023, 4:38:55 PM12/2/23
to a...@thebulletin.io, trans...@511.org, 511sfbaydevel...@googlegroups.com

Hi Adi,

Thanks for reaching out to 511. I’m not sure I understood your question. The default API rate limit is 60 requests per 3600 seconds per API key. Rate limit can be increased based on the need of the use case. To request an increased rate limit, please provide the following information to trans...@511.org:

  • your API key
  • the rate limit you need
  • a description of the use case
  • data endpoints you intend to use
  • a brief justification for the requested rate limit

Thank you,

Mengjie Han

Transit Data Services Manager

Dec 4, 2023, 9:01:19 AM12/4/23
to Mengjie Han, trans...@511.org, 511sfbaydevel...@googlegroups.com
Mengjie,

API Key - 89eee923-83f9-4f29-a0ea-810de05df9e6
Rate limit of 1000 / hour should be pretty good for us.
We need to subscribe to the 30 or so GTFS-RT feeds for different operators available through the 511 system.
Given that there are a few different RT feeds (trip updates, service alerts etc), and would typically call for the GTFS-RT data every 10 minutes or so, so our suggested rate limit should comfortably cover our use case.
We provide transit displays at hundreds of residential buildings across the Bay Area. We would be using this data to provide the transit information that's displayed through this signage.

I've attached a sample below - though the below sample is for Arlington, VA.

thebulletin.io transit.png
Cheers,
Adi

 Aditya Ramani | a...@thebulletin.io | 773 580 5665

Doug Freed

Dec 4, 2023, 1:10:11 PM12/4/23
to 511sfbaydevel...@googlegroups.com
You just posted your API key in a public email list.  You now need to cancel this one and generate a new one, and send it *only* to trans...@511.org.  (The form to get an API key will return this key for the email address it was created with until it is cancelled.)

-Doug