Increased API Rate Limit Request

Yumi Chapman

May 16, 2024, 12:38:50 PMMay 16
to 511sfbaydevel...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I’m also writing as instructed on the 511.org Open Transit Data Portal to request an API token with an increased rate limit greater than the standard 60 requests per 3600 seconds.  I’m hoping to track some Bay Area transit vehicles in (as close to) “real time” (as I can).

Also, can you tell me the average vehicle location refresh rate (AKA how often does a vehicle report its position to the GTFS-rt Vehicle Positions API)?

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to facilitate my request.

Thanks!

   Yumi Chapman
   Turner Engineering Corporation
   yu...@turner-engineering.com
   310.210.6292 mobile/text

Steve Trefethen

May 16, 2024, 12:55:32 PMMay 16
to 511SFBayDeveloperResources
Hi Yumi,
The 511 team will have to help you with your request. That said, you didn't need a new API key, rather you needed the 511 team to increase your existing API key's limit on their backend. However, since you've now published your API key anyone can use/abuse it so now you DO need a new key.

I would recommend in the future that you _never_ publish your API key(s) from any service(s) you are using to avoid people from abusing your approved access.

Steve