Increase API rate

lametrod...@gmail.com

May 8, 2022, 8:03:39 PM5/8/22
to 511SFBayDeveloperResources
I need something more like one per second.

I wonder, what is the intended use case for consumption of the API? Eg. if I had 100 users waiting for a bus simultaneously, and they all refresh their data once a minute, are you expecting developers to predict this and ask for rate in advance?

The default limit just seems incredibly low, and the 3600s lockout period really high, for something that is intended to be in users' hands.

Thanks

Kristopher Linquist

Aug 8, 2022, 5:52:35 PM8/8/22
to 511SFBayDeveloperResources
Hi,

I'm just a 'user' of this API, but APIs like this are typically not expected to be used directly by "end user apps".   Data should be proxied/transformed/cached appropriately.  Otherwise, 511 would have to bear the cost burden (data transfer, additional server CPU) of each of your users.

Most of the data is only updated every 60 seconds, so making more than one request per 60 seconds would not provide you any additional granularity.   I recommend you make a request every 60 seconds then offer up that data to your app via your own API.

-Kris