Returning detailed information for real time vehicle monitoring

Max Eagle

Feb 4, 2023, 8:21:47 PM2/4/23
to 511SFBayDeveloperResources
How can I return more detailed information for real time vehicle monitoring?

Here's my Python code:

response = requests.get(f'http://api.511.org/transit/VehicleMonitoring?api_key={api_key}&agency=BA')
json.loads(response.content.decode('utf-8-sig'))

I return this as a result:

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 3.18.24 PM.png

But the API guide shows a sample result with much greater detail:
Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 3.16.36 PM.png

My guess is that I need to provide a line id and / or a vehicle id, but when I tried doing that, neither returned anything more specific than what I initially had.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Max

Kapeel Daryani

Feb 8, 2023, 6:55:19 PM2/8/23
to 511sfbaydevel...@googlegroups.com

Hi Max,

The vehicle monitoring API provides vehicle locations and has limited information about the lines. Detailed information about routes/lines operated by any transit agency can be found using the lines API (https://api.511.org/transit/lines?api_key=ENTER-API-KEY-HERE&operator_id=BA). In addition, to this endpoint 511 SF Bay Open Data Portal also offers other endpoints that provide information about transit services in SF Bay Area. The ‘Open 511 Data Exchange Specifications – Transit’ document available on https://511.org/open-data/transit can give you detailed information about the available API endpoints.

Feel free to reach us if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,

Kapeel Daryani.