API Rate Limit

Barum Rho

Nov 21, 2022, 10:42:39 PM11/21/22
to 511sfbaydevel...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am a developer of realtime transit app called TransitWatch on iOS.
Recently, I’ve been issued a API key and I wanted to request a higher limit.
(Limit of 60 requests per hour is too limiting and the app won’t be useful for the users.)

This same email was used to register for the key.
If different API endpoints have different rate limits, could you please point me to the documentation with details?

Thank you,
Barum

Naren Hazareesingh

Nov 30, 2022, 6:33:51 PM11/30/22
to 511sfbaydevel...@googlegroups.com
I'm developing a real time transit app for SF Muni and the 60 requests/hour limit is making it impossible to develop. Can I get an increased limit?

Also, how will this work when I release my app to the app store? If all my users (really only have about 50 right now) are using the same API key during rush hour, the limit will definitely be exceeded.

Thanks,
Naren

Doug Freed

Nov 30, 2022, 6:46:00 PM11/30/22
to 511sfbaydevel...@googlegroups.com
End user apps should not be using 511 directly, which is why the
default ratelimit is what it is. 511 doesn't have the resources to be
the backend for everybody's transit apps. You should have your own
backend that queries 511 as needed; outside of the realtime API, data
changes very infrequently, and can be cached on your backend, saving a
huge amount of queries to 511. Even the realtime API isn't going to
be useful to query more than once a minute.

-Doug
(Not affiliated with 511)

Tyler Shuster

Dec 1, 2022, 6:20:50 PM12/1/22
to 511sfbaydevel...@googlegroups.com
Doug is right. We use this technique to cache 511’d data on a media server of ours before feeding it to the website. Incidentally, have you noticed a sfmta.com has real time predictions on all of its stop pages these days?