Currency Type Used in API Responses

Chad

Sep 16, 2011, 11:30:05 AM9/16/11
to 50/50 API
Most of the APIs return an amount donated. What currency is being used
for this amount? The UNICEF UK donation page allows donation in
pounds, euros, or dollars...

Andrew Senter

Sep 16, 2011, 11:40:48 AM9/16/11
to 5050...@googlegroups.com
The currency for all donations at present is GBP, no matter what the user selected on the donation page.

Obviously once the US payment gateway is live this is going to change so we'll be adding a 'currency' param to the donations endpoints.

Peter Hamilton

Sep 16, 2011, 11:48:14 AM9/16/11
to 5050...@googlegroups.com
I was going to ask this question as well, thanks for clarifying!

Koen

Sep 22, 2011, 6:52:48 AM9/22/11
to 50/50 API
Andrew,

1 - Can you confirm that UK or US gateways of unicef would accept all
credit cards - also those issued in other countries than uk or US?
2- Would there be a specific reason to chose one gateway over the
other?

thx
koen

On Sep 16, 5:40 pm, Andrew Senter <and...@phenotypic.co.uk> wrote:
> The currency for all donations at present is GBP, no matter what the user
> selected on the donation page.
>
> Obviously once the US payment gateway is live this is going to change so
> we'll be adding a 'currency' param to the donations endpoints.

Andrew Senter

Sep 23, 2011, 7:44:55 AM9/23/11
to 5050...@googlegroups.com
Hi Koen

1. I'm confirming with our tech suppliers in the UK and US re. cards issued in other countries.

2. As I'm sure you've noticed, different countries have different ways of handling donation tax, this is the primary concern when selecting your gateway, for example the US gateway handles US tax deductions, while the UK gateway provides UNICEF with Gift Aid.

If you already have a europe-wide donation system in place I'd suggest just using what you have and sending us manual notifications across the API.

Andrew