Waterat jib track backing plate

ghur...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2021, 11:13:11 PM6/9/21
to 505 USA West Coast
I'm thinking about knocking out the wood backing plates for the jib tracks and going with a g10 plate instead. Has anybody done this and if so, how'd you get that wood bar off?  I'm trying to put the boat on a little diet.

Larry Tuttle

Jun 10, 2021, 1:00:50 AM6/10/21
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com
The backups were originally put in only with the silicone sealant on the fasteners, so should come out easily. They are mahogany and probably lighter than an effective G10 replacement.

How about remove the tracks, downsize the blocks and ratchets and highly tapered sheets ? Or change to a 2:1 and reduce even more.

Larry Tuttle

Waterat Sailing Equipment
mail: P.O.Box 2790 Santa Cruz, CA 95063
shop: 565 McQuaide Dr. La Selva Beach, CA 95076

831-768-1520

Jackson McCoy

Jun 10, 2021, 8:20:46 AM6/10/21
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com
I did it on Hamlin 7095 because they were water damaged from the boat sitting by a barn outside in Oregon. I "pushed" them out from the outside of the tank after unfastening and putting in a long screw part way (doesn't have to be the fasteners that located the jib track). If you need to, you can tap the head of the screw to punch out the plate. Then reach in, fish out wood plate, and I think I used 3/16 or 1/4 g10... I would not have done these types of replacements if the boat had even been in middling condition.

Jackson McCoy

Jackson McCoy

Geoff Hurwitch

Jun 10, 2021, 3:04:35 PM6/10/21
to 505 WC Group
Larry and Jackson,

Thank you both.  Sounds like leaving it in may be the better plan.  It's probably just a camera trick as I stuck my phone into the port and took a pic and it looked huge.

Larry, it's definitely on a weight loss in the cockpit.  Lighter blocks and rigging are already purchased.  I'm sure that I can take enough weight out by removing lots of wire and wire blocks and the modern approach will hopefully be enough.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "505 USA West Coast" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/505-usa-west-coast/CAOZFQJXJLL5-Kor4HcYbixLQ_e3kLSaFBL8T1%3Do2Rk%2BM155z-g%40mail.gmail.com.