Matching 505 Owners with Crews/Drivers

Duane Delfosse

Apr 2, 2021, 9:18:10 AM4/2/21
to 505 USA Region One
Hello All,
I receive notifications from the 505 American Section web site when someone wants to get involved in New England.  As a first step I always invite them to join the Region 1 Google group (and East Coast Group if applicable) and I add them to my contact list.  My hope is that they will post a conversation saying... "Hey, I just moved to town, I sailed 505s in _____ and want to get involved!"    While that happens, not everyone feels empowered to post such a message.  Similarly, owners could post a message saying "I need a driver for Newport on _____".  That also should happen, but not frequently enough.   Here we are at the beginning of the season and we have boat owners needing a crew or driver, and people who are interested in sailing.  The problem is....how to disseminate contact information without violating peoples right to privacy?

I started down several paths, with Google Docs and Google Drive locations, but an easy solution that provides security and "opt-in" is elusive.  Please take the initiative.... if you want to sail... post something on this message board.   Otherwise, contact me and I'll try to provide contact information and introductions.  If anyone has an idea for how to handle this in an automated way, I'm all ears!
Thanks,
Duane

Adam Wolnikowski

Apr 2, 2021, 11:03:01 AM4/2/21
to 505-usa-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duane,

I'm currently all set on a sailing partner but of course I've dealt with this problem before. I see the issue you mention with privacy, but I'm sure we could come up with some system that preserves that and is better than email chains that easily get lost/forgotten about or don't have everyone on them.

Does Brendan still manage the class website? I wonder if we could pitch him on duplicating the classifieds section for partner "classifieds." People could post there and specify whether they're looking for a skipper or crew, whether or not they have a boat, what event or period of time they're looking for, what region they're in, and describe their level of experience. That system preserves privacy, as you respond to posts through the automated response form and no contact info is publicly displayed. It would also be much more visible to prospective newcomers to the class than emails or shared google docs, and could certainly persuade people to try out 505 sailing if they saw that they could quickly find a partner. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Adam
--
Adam Wolnikowski
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Sent via Superhuman

David Kirkpatrick

Apr 2, 2021, 11:16:59 AM4/2/21
to 505-usa-r...@googlegroups.com, Brendan Heussler
This is a fantastic idea. I manage the site now, with significant help from Brendan. I have absolutely no idea how to do this, but he probably does. It may be as simple as placing classifieds. I cc'd Brendan on this and I'll follow up with him about it. Or we could just steal the Tinder code and swipe right? Eric Anderson could probably whip that together in about 5 minutes.

Region 1 fleet gained a boat last night, details to follow.

Can whoever plans to go to ECCs please let me know so I can help RJ plan? Also please register here - it's always good PR when people go to register and see a healthy entrant list. 8951 has registered. My list of boats I think are going to ECCs is:
Duane/Tom
Peter/John
Luke/John*
Mike Z/Pete A
Colin M/Peter F
Dave/Parker

If you're on the list and don't plan to go, or aren't on the list and do plan to go, please let me know. Otherwise, no response needed.

On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 9:18 AM, Duane Delfosse <duane.d...@comcast.net> wrote:
[...]

202 256 1387

Adam Wolnikowski

Duane

Apr 2, 2021, 11:52:30 AM4/2/21
to adam.wol...@yale.edu, 505-usa-r...@googlegroups.com, bre...@usa505.org
That sounds fantastic!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "505 USA Region One" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/505-usa-region-one/kn0gbvrv.947e0899-ccc5-430c-995b-41508c4002c6%40we.are.superhuman.com.

Craig Thompson

Apr 2, 2021, 3:02:57 PM4/2/21
to 505 Region 1 Group, adam.wol...@yale.edu, Brendan Heussler
I nominate Adam Wolnikowski for assistant Information Officer effective immediately.
___

Craig Thompson
+44 7387 023 608 (UK mobile)

[...]

David Kirkpatrick

Apr 2, 2021, 3:07:35 PM4/2/21
to 505-usa-r...@googlegroups.com, adam.wol...@yale.edu, Brendan Heussler
It’s actually an awesome idea.

Are you in, Adam?

Sent from my iPhone

Adam Wolnikowski

Apr 2, 2021, 3:54:20 PM4/2/21
to David Kirkpatrick, Brendan Heussler, 505-usa-r...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing! Would love to put my web development and coding skills to good use for the class.

--

On Apr 2, 2021, at 3:02 PM, Craig Thompson <iqcraig@gmail.com> wrote:

I nominate Adam Wolnikowski for assistant Information Officer effective immediately.
___

Craig Thompson
+44 7387 023 608 (UK mobile)
+1 708 954 7741 (US mobile)
On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 4:52 PM Duane <duane.delfosse@comcast.net> wrote:
That sounds fantastic!

Duane Delfosse

May 14, 2021, 9:01:28 AM5/14/21
to 505 USA Region One
Hey Adam,
Anything to report on a matching capability for 505 owners and crew/drivers?  It would be great to publish a "safe list" of people looking to go sailing.  Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Duane

On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 3:54:20 PM UTC-4 adam.wolnikowski wrote:
Sure thing! Would love to put my web development and coding skills to good use for the class.

--
Adam Wolnikowski
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Yale University | Trumbull '21

Sent via Superhuman

On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 3:07 PM, David Kirkpatrick <dkri...@gmail.com> wrote:
It’s actually an awesome idea.

Are you in, Adam?

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 2, 2021, at 3:02 PM, Craig Thompson <iqc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I nominate Adam Wolnikowski for assistant Information Officer effective immediately.
___

Craig Thompson
+44 7387 023 608 (UK mobile)
+1 708 954 7741 (US mobile)
On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 4:52 PM Duane <duane.d...@comcast.net> wrote:
That sounds fantastic!

Adam Wolnikowski

May 14, 2021, 2:29:16 PM5/14/21
to 505-usa-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duane,

Sorry that I haven't made much progress on the skipper/crew matching feature for the website; the end of the semester hit me a lot harder than I was expecting and I've just been drowning in work. Thankfully, however, I took my last exam last night and am finishing up my thesis by early next week, so I should be able to finally get this rolling!

In the mean time, like you said, just publishing a list of people looking to sail (as I keep seeing emails from people looking for rides) is probably a good idea. Should we just ask the email lists to find everyone looking for partners and compile a spreadsheet we can send to people? Do you have any thoughts on how to do that better?

As for the original matching "classifieds" idea for the website, now that I'm done with school I think I should be able to have that up and running before June, at the latest.

Thanks,
Adam
--
Adam Wolnikowski
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Yale University | Trumbull '21

Sent via Superhuman

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 4:52 PM Duane <duane.delfosse@comcast.net> wrote:
That sounds fantastic!

Ryan

May 14, 2021, 3:06:12 PM5/14/21
to 505-usa-r...@googlegroups.com
We could do a “self sign-up” google doc and just have interested folks fill in name/contact/experience, etc.

On May 14, 2021, at 2:29 PM, Adam Wolnikowski <adam.wol...@yale.edu> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/505-usa-region-one/CAKeZKD3%2BwObTHZ0hFQnmn_1tOGNWJdkKnovDtR-t0NHawaT%3D2A%40mail.gmail.com.