Spinnaker Halyard Line?

Alexander Meller

Jul 6, 2022, 2:20:18 PM7/6/22
to 505 West, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
What do people like for spinnaker halyard line?  This is for crew hoist in case you have different favourites.

I think some are using: FSE ROBLINE DINGHY STAR 6MM
though 6mm seems a bit on the thicker side to me.
Does anyone strip the cover?  I think a bit of cover at the end tied to the head of the spinnaker, such that the wear point at the spinnaker halyard sheave is covered, and then again where it cleats and perhaps part of what you pull up would work.  The retrieval end does not need to be low stretch, but you want it as light as possible and a softer line would not wear grooves in the launcher tube (noticeable on forward tack/side launcher 505s.

P&B has a "Windtech" halyard: https://www.pinbax.com/p-b-505-rope-spinnaker-halyard-crew-hoist-windtech-p6807... I'm not sure what line that is

Thanks,

Ali
--
Alexander "Ali" Meller

Mike Martin

Jul 6, 2022, 2:21:31 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
I use Dinghy Star Pro 4mm

Sent from my iPhone

Dave Kirkpatrick

Jul 6, 2022, 2:46:07 PM7/6/22
to Mike Martin, 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
After battling with the Dinghy Star putting itself into a**hole knots on every takedown at the first regatta we did with 8951 we switched to 4mm Marlow pre-stretch and haven't looked back. It never hockles, it's durable, it cleats well, you get about 3 months of notice before wear gets critical, you end-for-end it once, and it's cheap enough that replacing it is an afterthought. **thanks to the great everything shortage of 2021/2022 we are now using the 4mm Robline knockoff which has been great so far.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "505 North America" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/505-north-america/2F3FC20E-72A4-4484-857A-65CDC6A0E174%40gmail.com.

Aaron Ross

Jul 6, 2022, 2:46:19 PM7/6/22
to 505 WC Group, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Allan F Johnson, Craig Thompson, Fiona Lockwood, Mike Coe
Sounds like 4mm dinghy star pro is the call for skipper hoist or lazy self-riggers.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 11:35 AM Craig Ramsay <ctrams...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was mistaken then.

Cheers,
Craig Ramsay

On Jul 6, 2022, at 11:33 AM, Howard Hamlin <how...@hamlingooding.com> wrote:

We use Dinghy Star 6mm and strip the cover where it is in the wind.

Alexander Meller

Jul 6, 2022, 3:15:39 PM7/6/22
to 505 Class American Section, Mike Martin, 505 West, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
Dave,

In case it makes you feel vindicated in your choice, 9200 (rigged by P&B) came with 4mm Marlow pre-stretch ...

Ali

--
Alexander "Ali" Meller

Richard Mundell

Jul 6, 2022, 4:48:43 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
Whatever you choose, (4mm) buy some atlas gloves for your crews. Makes all the difference IMHO.

Love the star pro personally but find it doesn’t matter much with the grippy gloves.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 6, 2022, at 11:20 AM, Alexander Meller <alexande...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mike Martin

Jul 6, 2022, 4:51:59 PM7/6/22
to Alexander Meller, 505 Class American Section, 505 West, 505 NA Group, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
If you can't find the marlo prestretch , you could use shock cord. They have similar stretch characteristics :-)

Mike Martin

Jul 6, 2022, 4:52:56 PM7/6/22
to Alexander Meller, 505 Class American Section, 505 West, 505 NA Group, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson

Mike Holt

Jul 6, 2022, 5:18:43 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Meller, 505 Class American Section, 505 NA Group, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson

I find the shot cord is better for sheets, bit of gust response allows the crew to look around more….

Dave Kirkpatrick

Jul 7, 2022, 9:54:40 AM7/7/22
to Mike Holt, Alexander Meller, 505 NA Group, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
Shock cord doesn't cleat at all well in the sheet cleats on our boat. We've lost 2 sandwiches and 3 beers to this issue and have given up on it. Back to 3 strand hemp.

Craig Thompson

Jul 7, 2022, 1:53:50 PM7/7/22
to da...@usa505.org, Mike Holt, Alexander Meller, 505 NA Group, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
Maffioli TD99 4.5mm is what I recommend for kite halyards. This product was specifically developed for 49er kite halyards and (in my opinion) is perfect for the application. It's a bit stiffer than the Robline Dinghy Star Pro so less kink potential and the size is perfect. I do not recommend stripping off the cover, especially if you are using the "puller-upper" kite halyard support. The weight/windage savings just does not seem worth the reduction in abrasion resistance and overall longevity of the line. The bury also has to pass through the sheave on every take-down/hoist so if you do strip it make sure your taper is long and smooth and lock-stitch the transition instead of a conventional whip. I have this stuff in stock in 2x colors, see attached photo.

One big upgrade that should be considered is the kite halyard sheave at the top of the mast. Allen brothers make a 38mm part with stainless sheave and bearings (part number A...6B) that is an easy retrofit and greatly reduces the friction at this 180 degree turn. There is also some opportunity to reduce friction at the rear mast exit with the cutout geometry, I see a lot of installations where the line is hard against the exit hole which creates friction and prematurely wears the line.
___

Craig Thompson

20200727_220319.jpg
20200820_145929.jpg
20200803_192709.jpg

Larry Tuttle

Jul 7, 2022, 11:30:31 PM7/7/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com
Steve uses 5/32” / 4mm Marlow p/s, not 3/16

Larry Tuttle

Waterat Sailing Equipment
mail: P.O.Box 2790 Santa Cruz, CA 95063
shop: 565 McQuaide Dr. La Selva Beach, CA 95076

831-768-1520