Looking for a rigging design for hoisting a boat in a 20' shipping container

Dave Adams

Aug 31, 2022, 4:16:02 PM8/31/22
to 505-nort...@googlegroups.com
I am planning on purchasing a 20' shipping container to store two boats over the winter.

Does anyone have a slick DIY rigging design system for hoisting one of the boats to the ceiling of the container? It would be nice if I could pull on one line and the whole boat rises evenly.

As you know, steel shipping containers have excellent connection points for hanging blocks and shackles.

Harken sells a system for lasers but would rather recycle a bunch of old hardware and build my own.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Adams
8696 Fleet 4

Evan Jennings

Sep 2, 2022, 11:32:45 AM9/2/22
to Dave Adams, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com
Here’s a reply from Brian Trainor:

If he's looking at the Harken Hoister, then he already knows how to recycle his old hardware.

My system was based on the biggest Harken Hoister sold, a 6:1 purchase using two triple blocks, but the original blocks were too small to deal with a 505.  They use Harken microblocks, but obviously the bigger the better for friction reduction.

6:1 is enough purchase to lift a 505 hull without friction becoming too bad, but it's still heavy.

The four red drop lines leading to the corners are all joined at one moving triple block, and a second triple block is fixed at the wall/ceiling.  I didn't photograph the two triple blocks in action, but it's easy to imagine.

Obviously the throw of the one moving triple block limits the height you can lift with the system, because all the drop lines tie in to it.

I rigged mine laterally across the garage ceiling, to get more throw so as to deal with my 9 foot ceiling height.  If I had rigged the moving triples in line with the hull, then I'd only have got about 3 or 4 feet of throw from the moving triple block to the "deck organizer" on the ceiling.

But you can't do that lateral throw with a 20' container.  It's not wide enough, so the throw along the ceiling would have to run in-line with the boat.

He'd probably have to mount the "deck organizer" in the middle of the ceiling above the middle of the boat, to get enough throw.  But that would mean that two of the drop lines would turn more than 90*, which would add friction.

Alternatively, he could mount the fixed triple block on the floor/wall joint, and have the throw of the moving triple block run down vertically the height of the wall.

That alternative would mean the four drop lines would have to turn a vertical 90* corner at the ceiling/wall joint, so again there's more friction than my setup.  If going this way, he could use one really wide turning block or roller at the wall/ceiling joint for all four drop lines to turn, because they all move at the same rate and along the same axis to the "deck organizer".  Otherwise, I guess he'd need a separate block there for each drop line.

Hard to know whether this alternative would result in less friction than positioning the deck organizer in the middle of the boat (with the result that two drop lines turn more than 90* angles on the ceiling).

I guess it's a case of "suck it and see".

One last thought, if he had electrical service to the container, then he could dispense with the triple-blocks altogether, and buy an electric winch to mount at the wall/ceiling joint.  The 4 drop lines could just be pulled by the winch along the ceiling, and there's no problem with "throw" because it's just one single wire that's being pulled into the spool.

- Brian

IMG_20220831_163812.jpg

From: Dave Adams <davidlam...@gmail.com>
Date: August 31, 2022 at 1:16:02 PM PDT