Nominations for 505 Class Awards

Blaine Pedlow

Mar 9, 2022, 1:26:09 PM3/9/22
to 505 America, 505 WC Group, 505 Northwest, Bellingham 505 Fleet
Hello 505ers!

First thing - thank you once again to Ethan and the crew in Florida for a phenomenal Midwinters and North Americans. What a pleasure to race in warm weather and against great competition to kick off 2022!

My duties as the 505 North American VP are pretty simple - back up the President, which I think means I'm hiding in the bunker while Reeve is out on the water, and seeking nominees for our two American class awards - the Dave Cahn Sportsmanship Trophy and the Dennis Surtees Service Award.

These awards are special - they honor individuals whose service to the class and sportsmanship opens the door for more people to join our fleet, provides more opportunities to be on the water, and makes that time on the water more fun. Most of us can point to someone (or many people) on these trophies who impacted our decision to sail 505s!

I ask each of you to consider nominating a member from your fleet (or from another area) who deserves recognition. Nominations should be in writing and can be returned directly to me or to any class officer. Our officers will review nominations later this summer and then present the awards at a regatta attended by the recipient. (We'll return to presenting these at the NAs in 2023 when they fall later in the year.)

For more information on the awards, please visit https://usa505.org/library/awards/ or continue reading below.

Dennis Surtees Service Award

The Dennis Surtees Service Award was created in 2002 as an annual award to honor 505 sailors who have distinguished themselves by providing outstanding service to the 505 American Section. The award was conceived by then-president, Jesse Falsone. Jesse said, “The American Section is now 45 years old, and there should be a service award to honor the people that have freely given their time and energy so that Americans could continuously compete in the best sailing dinghy the world has ever known. For decades, Dennis Surtees optimized 505 sailing in the United States both with his performance and his contributions to the class. Dennis represents everything that was and still is great about the class and its leadership, and it gives me great pleasure to commission this trophy that bears his name.”

The Dennis Surtees Service Award shall be awarded annually at the International 505 North American Championship. Winners of the perpetual trophy shall keep the trophy in their possession for the period from the award date until the following North American Championship. The current winner shall assume responsibility for the award, and shall ensure safe passage for it to the North American Championship. The winner is also responsible for the inscription of their name if it is not already on the trophy, but may be reimbursed by the class for the cost of the inscription, assuming the cost is reasonable.

Dave Cahn Sportsmanship Trophy

The Dave Cahn trophy was created in 1998 to remember Dave Cahn and his brand of sportsmanship. The Dave Cahn trophy is a large half model of a Lindsay 505 hull, mounted on a large plaque. The names of the annual winners of the Dave Cahn trophy are on small plates mounted on the plaque.

Remarks by former International 505 Class President, Ali Meller from the first presentation of the Dave Cahn Trophy at prize presentation for the 1998 505 World Championship.

"A little less than a year ago, many of us were racing the 505 Worlds in Gilleleje. We were enjoying the racing, and enjoying the camaraderie the 505 class is legendary for. One of the 505 sailors who was in Gilleleje, who wanted to be here with us in Hyannis, was Dave Cahn. Tragically, Dave died in December while racing his 505.  Dave was the perfect gentlemen on and off the water. I never heard him raise his voice, never saw him try to pull off any questionable move. He raced as hard as he could but was always within the letter and spirit of the rules. I wish I was more like him.  At this time, and at the request of many of Dave’s friends in the class, I would like to ask you to raise a glass in a toast to Dave Cahn… Dave Cahn…

Many of you have seen some of the e-mails about Dave from his many friends in the 505 class. While I was racing the Europeans and the Lake Garda European Cup event earlier this year, conversation with 505 sailors frequently turned to Dave. It amazes me how many people remember Dave, and recall laughing with him; somehow we were always smiling or laughing when we were with him. For many of us, Dave was the person we most wanted to be standing next to at the bar after a 505 race.  I think it important to note that in the 505 class we do not only respect the winners. Dave probably never won a 505 regatta in his life, but he was respected and admired by many in the class, none-the-less.  A number of 505 sailors believe that Dave should be remembered and honored within the 505 class. After some discussions, this trophy – the Dave Cahn Sportsmanship Trophy – a perpetual trophy was created. The trophy is for the Dave Cahn brand of sportsmanship. All American Section 505 sailors are eligible. Donations to cover the material costs of this trophy have been received from around the 505 world. This beautiful trophy was created by Guck, Inc. which has donated the time to build this trophy."

Nominations for the Dave Cahn sportsmanship trophy for each year are sent to the American Section secretary, reviewed by a committee, and voted on by American Section members at the American Section Annual Meeting.