Crowd Sourcing Some 505 History Questions... Do You Remember 1981 and 1985?

Alexander Meller

Jun 29, 2017, 12:49:37 PM6/29/17
to 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, 505-global
We are trying to answer some 505 history questions.

1. How many Japanese teams raced at the 1981 505 World Championships out of St. Francis YC?  I think it was two teams in the Japanese-built 505s, and one of them won a race, holding off Benj/Tucker one the finish line.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

2. What (how many) Japanese teams raced the 1985 Worlds in Enoshima?

Thanks very much,

Ali
5O5 7200

--
Alexander "Ali" Meller

Ebbe Rosén

Jul 4, 2017, 2:40:23 PM7/4/17
to alexande...@gmail.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, 505-global
Hello Ali,

Yes, I do remember and also participated both those two great events :)

1. Team Miyuki KAY/Shiro NOGUSHI from Japan won race 5 at the 1981 505 World Championships.
Miyuki Kay is a former 470 sailor and World Champion (Medemblik, 1979) and second place finisher in 1977.
The other team from Japan was KIMURA/KIKUCHI, who finished on 59 place in boat number 7000.

2. 18 teams from Japan participated at the 505 Worlds in Enoshima 1985.
Best placed was as mixed team Aiko SAITO/Shiro NOGUSHI on 10th place.
Aiko participated the Olympic games in 1988 (Europe dinghy) and  1996 (470).
She is looking after the sailing team JPN for Tokyo 2020.

Final results can be downloaded from here

Cheers,

Ebbe Rosen
5O5 8926

Jul 11, 2017, 1:32:28 AM7/11/17
to ero...@bredband.net, alexande...@gmail.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, 505-global
Shiro Noguchi (10th in 1986 - assuming it is the same person) is one of the team chartering my boat for this year's Worlds.

Tom