Euromaidan SOS analyzed the draft bill 7290 on war crimes

1 view

Oleksandra Matviychuk

Apr 25, 2022, 3:00:55 PM4/25/22
Euromaidan SOS: a new government bill № 7290 artificially reduces opportunities to prosecute  Russian military commanders and civilian superiors liable for war crimes

Thus, the short answer to the question of whether Ukraine has the appropriate legal instruments to bring to justice the Russian leadership and representatives of the Russian military for international crimes is as follows. Back in 2015, the Center for Civil Liberties initiated the preparation of a law responsible for crimes against humanity and war crimes during the war with Russia. The first version of this bill was prepared by human rights defenders, registered by the Groysman government under № 9438 and voted in the first reading of the last convocation Parliament. Another version of this bill was registered by the People's Deputies under №2689, approved by the Parliament and sent to the President for signature, where it got stuck. The current third version of this bill was registered by the Shmygal government under №7290. Together with our partners, we can correct a number of shortcomings before the registration of the new bill, but some problems still remain. It is about them in the appeals, which are supported by 28 well-known public organizations, the largest of which have been working in this field for years, so we expect that MPs will listen to us. More information in the appeal: https://ccl.org.ua/en/claims/euromaidan-sos-a-new-government-bill-%e2%84%96-7290-artificially-reduces-opportunities-to-prosecute-russian-military-commanders-and-civilian-superiors-liable-for-war-crimes/

--
Щиро/ Best regards,
Олександра Матвійчук/ Oleksandra Matviichuk

Центр громадянських свобод/ Center for Civil Liberties
моб.тел./ mobile phone:+380674494839