2004.7 Crash Immediately After Login

Mikey

Jan 21, 2009, 10:12:19 PM1/21/09
to 4D Tech GoogleGroups, 4D iNug Tech
Oh crap.

I have a structure that crashes right after I try to log into it
(using 4D's users & groups). 2004.7.

I don't see any reports of similar behavior. 4D Tools reports all's well.

Suggestions?

and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Michael Burger

Jan 21, 2009, 10:50:05 PM1/21/09
to 4D-...@googlegroups.com
If you're on a Windows machine, this sounds like data execution
protection is not set to permit changes to 4D applications....

Mikey

Jan 21, 2009, 11:01:17 PM1/21/09
to 4D-...@googlegroups.com
Vista has it turned off except for essential Windows programs and
services by default. You can't add a program to the excluded list
because it's not enabled.

Also, wouldn't a DEP issue affect all my 4D databases?

Michael Burger

Jan 22, 2009, 12:05:12 AM1/22/09
to 4D-...@googlegroups.com
For Vista, make sure that the 4D application and/or datafile are not in
the program files folder. That, and DEP, are the only two causes I've
encountered that result in the immediate crashing of 4D.

Paul Medland

Jan 22, 2009, 11:42:48 AM1/22/09
to 4D-...@googlegroups.com

Can you log into the structure without the users and groups loaded?

If you are logging in via key file, try logging in without it.

Regards,

--

Paul Medland
QuickTrac Developer

Mikey

Jan 22, 2009, 11:46:10 AM1/22/09
to 4D-...@googlegroups.com
Nope.

> Can you log into the structure without the users and groups loaded?

Jim Hays

Jan 22, 2009, 12:07:22 PM1/22/09
to 4D-...@googlegroups.com
Did you try Michael's suggestion? - we have found the same thing - we must install our OEM'd client and single user apps outside of the Program Files folder.  In fact, we have a customer trying to run a 4D 2003 Client on Citrix running on a Windows Server 2008 box.  I'm hoping since server 2008 is similar to Vista, it's the Program Files folder access control problem and that moving the instll will solve the problem.  I'll report back when the've done it.

Jim