Re: R timing (HW8)

William Stein

May 19, 2011, 2:14:19 AM5/19/11
to Alex Arslan, 480uw11
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Alex Arslan <arar...@uw.edu> wrote:
> Hello again,
>

> I was wondering if it’s acceptable to use R’s system.time() to time the
> computations done in the pexpect interface? The displayed output is rather
> different than that of Sage’s time, but I think it does the same thing.

That's a good idea. But when in doubt, I recommend you do *both* --
time using system.time() *and* also from Sage, and remark about how
the timings compare.

> Also, for problem 2, do we need to display the computed statistics or can we
> just display the time it takes to compute them?

It's fine if you just show the times. However, you may optionally
want to show the stats as a double check that you're computing the
right thing.

-- William

--
William Stein