math 480: project schedule

William Stein

May 27, 2011, 12:51:08 AM5/27/11
to 480uw11
Hi,

Please respond to this email with information about your Math 480
project presentation:

TITLE:

PEOPLE:

DAY PREFERENCE (Wed or Fri):

ABSTRACT (a few sentences describing what you plan to present):

Your final projects are due on Friday via email to
480...@googlegroups.com. Attach anything relevant to the project to
your final submission email.

-- William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

William Stein

May 27, 2011, 1:09:04 AM5/27/11
to 480uw11
Just to clarify:

Projects are due, FRIDAY JUNE 3 (the last day of class), at 2:30pm,
right before class starts.

-- William

djri...@uw.edu

May 27, 2011, 2:47:50 AM5/27/11
to 480...@googlegroups.com, kims...@hotmail.com

TITLE: Linear Optimization Checking

PEOPLE: Sunnye Kim, Daniel Riness

DAY PREFERENCE (Wed or Fri): Friday

ABSTRACT (a few sentences describing what you plan to present): An introduction to Linear Programming and the methods used to solve standard LP's. For students initially going in to Linear Programming, a lot of matrix algebra is thrown at them with some new ways to pivot, augment matrices, etc..., we will give a brief overview of standard form LP's, how you pivot, how the pivoting process works (and how there are multiple ways to get to the same solution), as well as at least one (movement along the vertices of a convex polyhedron) graphical aspect of LP (and if time permits, the use of the gradient of the cost function) for 2 and 3 dimensions. The actual pivoting algorithm can be expanded way beyond that.
May 27, 2011, 11:36:11 AM5/27/11
to 480...@googlegroups.com
Title: RSA encryption algorithm

People: Colin Dilworth

Day Preference: Wednesday

Abstract: RSA is an encryption algorithm involving large primes and modular arithmetic, much like the algorithm we were shown in class. I will show some examples of how the algorithm works and give some background on it. As we saw in class, Sage works really well with this kind of thing, so it's a very good tool for encrypting numbers with RSA.

Michael Snider

May 27, 2011, 12:34:54 PM5/27/11
to 480...@googlegroups.com

TITLE: Elliptic Curve Cryptography

PEOPLE: Michael Snider

DAY PREFERENCE (Wed or Fri): Friday

ABSTRACT (a few sentences describing what you plan to present):
Over the past 26 years, elliptic curves over finite fields have been used to perform public-key encryption.
Sage does a really good job at creating and handling elliptic curves. Taking advantage of this I will
demonstrate an implementation of this encryption method. Using Sage, I plan to demonstrate a few
different examples of how this works over a few different elliptic curves including some special curves
that are optimized for this sort of process.

Eddie Tsay

May 27, 2011, 1:22:51 PM5/27/11
to 480...@googlegroups.com
TITLE: Tools for the Quantitative Finance Library

PEOPLE: Eddie Tsay, Harmony Mak, Spencer Hawes, Brian Manion, and Andrea Frank

DAY PREFERENCE (Wed or Fri): Friday

ABSTRACT (a few sentences describing what you plan to present):

Presenting various tools that will be of use to people interested in quantitative finance. Topics included (not a complete list): Value-at-Risk, univariate statistics, covariance matrices of several assets, and the Black-Scholes Option Pricing Model.

wie...@u.washington.edu

May 27, 2011, 4:09:56 PM5/27/11
to 480...@googlegroups.com

TITLE: A Monte Carlo Simulation of the Statistics of Social Interactions on the Seattle Metro
ᅵ
PEOPLE: Kevin Wierman
ᅵ

DAY PREFERENCE (Wed or Fri): Friday

ABSTRACT (a few sentences describing what you plan to present):

ᅵ
I plan to create a model of the social norms of interpersonal interactions on the Seattle Metro busses. This will include deterministic algorithms to simulate seat choice and grouping of people based off of random variables assigned to an "event" (person entering the bus/exiting the bus). Sage will be used in order to provide an easy integration of graphics and statistical tools as well as access to precompiled code.

ᅵ

Nathan Aaron Breit

May 27, 2011, 7:00:22 PM5/27/11
to 480...@googlegroups.com
TITLE: Point set matching

PEOPLE: Nathan Breit

DAY PREFERENCE: None

ABSTRACT:
Imagine someone hands you a drawing of the stars in a constellation
and wants you to find it somewhere in the night sky. This is point set
matching. I will demonstrate a method for finding such matchings by
imposing graph structures on the point sets (for example by using
Delaunay triangulation), then searching for their maximum common
isomorphic sub-graphs. I will go on to explore applications of point
set matching in computer vision.

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM, <wie...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>  TITLE: A Monte Carlo Simulation of the Statistics of Social Interactions on
> the Seattle Metro
>

>  PEOPLE: Kevin Wierman

>  DAY PREFERENCE (Wed or Fri): Friday
>
>  ABSTRACT (a few sentences describing what you plan to present):

Andrew Robert Piper

May 27, 2011, 7:01:19 PM5/27/11
to 480...@googlegroups.com
TITLE: Image Filtering in Sage

PEOPLE: Andrew Piper, Charlie Sprague

DAY PREFERENCE (Wed or Fri): Friday

ABSTRACT (a few sentences describing what you plan to present): Using fourier analysis within Sage to decompose an image into its fourier modes and use a linear filter to remove as much 'noise' as possible while retaining an acceptable amount image quality. By using a 2 dimensional fourier transform the dominant modes of the image become apparent and a specific filter can be applied to reduce the amount of noise to near zero creating a somewhat cleaner looking image.

William Stein

May 29, 2011, 12:37:24 AM5/29/11
to 480uw11
Hi,

Only half the students in Math 480 have responded to this email. If
your name is *not* below, email me (wst...@gmail.com) or respond with
the details of your project soon, so I can make a schedule. Thanks!

People with project information: Alex Arslan, Nathan Breit, Colin
Dilworth, Andrea Frank, Spencer Hawes
Neil Johnson, Sunnye Kim, Harmony Mak, Brian Manion, Andrew Piper,
Andrew Richman, Daniel Riness
Derreck Ross, Nasim Shomali, Michael Snider, Charlie Sprague, Eddie
Tsay Kevin Wierman

TITLE:
PEOPLE:
DAY PREFERENCE (Wed or Fri):

ABSTRACT:

-- William

alex do

May 29, 2011, 7:04:04 PM5/29/11
to 480...@googlegroups.com
TITLE: League of Legends Champion Testing

PEOPLE: Alex Do

DAY PREFERENCE (Wed or Fri): Wednesday

ABSTRACT (a few sentences describing what you plan to present):
Making use of the sage's ability to create and use objects I designed a way to create and manipulate an object to behave similarly to that of a champion in the game League of Legends. I also made use of pickle and sqlite3 in order to store a list of equips. This would be a good tool for people who like to play League of Legends and like to do TheoryCrafting.

Matthew David Zemek

May 30, 2011, 7:13:35 PM5/30/11
to 480...@googlegroups.com
Title: Implementing Optional Line Numbering for Error Tracking
People: Matthew Zemek
Preference: Friday
Abstract: As Sage currently exists there is no option to add line numbers while programming and troubleshooting, making such an addition a clear and simple modification to the interface to increase accessibility.  If time allows an option to pan between coding errors by line number will be added as well.

Quan Lam

May 31, 2011, 1:15:30 AM5/31/11
to 480...@googlegroups.com
TITLE: Classifying Music By Genre using Linear Discriminant Analysis and Principal Component Analysis with Sage

PEOPLE: QUAN LAM

DAY PREFERENCE (Wed or Fri): FRIDAY

ABSTRACT (a few sentences describing what you plan to present): The Linear Discriminant Analysis and Principal Component Analysis are popular techniques used in statistics, pattern recognition, machine learning, etc. These techniques can be useful in detecting a "pattern" of an audio file comparing to a certain training set and classify it into genres, except that a music file usually contains a large amount of information that would make the procedure take quite some time. With the computational power of the Sage system as well as all the well define libraries of functions, applying these techniques to music files would be practical.