grades

William Stein

Jun 2, 2009, 12:26:57 AM6/2/09
to 480-uw09
Hi,

There were some questions about how Math 480 will be graded today in
class. All homeworks count equally, and your lowest homework grade
is dropped. I will take the remaining homework grades, normalize them
to percentages (out of 100%), and average them, thus computing a
percentage score (between 0% and 100%).
I will then assign grades such that 90% is definitely at least an A-,
80% is definitely at least a B-, 70% is definitely at least a C-, etc.
(I reserve the right to curve in a way favorable to you, i.e., I may
adjust grades up, i.e., make it so the cutoff for A- is lower than
90%.)

If all goes as planned I'll have grades computed before class on
Friday, and will be able to send them to you, so that you can verify
that I didn't make any mistakes computing your grade, or misrecord any
of your assignments. It is thus very important that you turn in your
last assignment (on Sudoku) in a timely manner on Wednesday at
midnight, so I can grade on Thursday.

Regards,
William

--