45th Finance Section (1965-1970) Tom Heslin.

Tom Heslin

Aug 4, 2010, 5:31:19 PM8/4/10
to 45th-finan...@googlegroups.com

Gentlemen: I was looking through the internet the other day and found the 45th Finance Section in K-Town and pictures of a group of good guys I  served with from mid 1967 to January, 1969. Man-O-Man what great memories those pictures brought back. If any of you guys remember me, I transferred over from the 94th HHB (Kleber Kaserne) to the 45th and I worked next to the cage doing travel vouchers with a broad named Ursula(whata trip that was!!) who was a friend of Anita who worked in the section with John Seraphin. After seeing the pictures, I do remember Larry & Paul in the cage, Lieutenant “PPPPPaaaathco” (as we used to say), old crotchety Sgt. Cook, “Slick E-8 Walker”, Major “The 1st Lady”Ramey etc. I recall that a fellow named Moran is the one that got me to put in a 1049 to transfer to the 45th and there was a fellow named Mike Moriarity(cool dude with a hairlip) and a fellow from California named Lee Ihde who never took a bath/shower and was caught once in the crapper eating a sandwich. I’m getting ready to hit 67 but ye olde memory bank do remember Serahin smoked Pall Malls and about Ralph “Slow Man” Gardner……….well, we went to Amsterdam on a 3-day pass, got drunk as hoot owls and paid the “ladies in the window” on Canal Street a pleasurely visit. Ole Avery Baumgartner was sure a good old boy and I do remember him going home. Honestly, I can say that those times way back then in the 45th & K-Town were the best times of my life….the dollar was worth a ton////the beer was great (Thomas brau when you had $$$ & BBK when you were at the end of the month…….ye olde “BBK Boogy”)///Europe was a kick, you had to go to the post office to make a transatlantic cable phone call and last ,but not least, I certainly do recall hearing (more than often)…”GI, buyt me cognac/cola…6 mark 60/take me to schtates”. Couplea things more…….I DO remember going to Italy with Al Abatecola to visit his relatives in the red Alpha Romeo convertible & getting blitzed & calling Sgt. Cook from Italy saying we’d be late returning……man, we caught hell when we finally got back. Wrapping it up, after returning to the “World” (rotated 30 Jan ’69 to Ft. Dix for out processing), I settled in California and got my commercial pilot’s license and flew for United Airlines (11 years). After relocating to Seattle and getting trained on the 747, I flew for Northwest Airlines and retired in 1999 with 25 years “under my belt.” After 5+1/2 years of golf & traveling the US as a tourist seeing the sights, I joined a mentoring group (like Big Brothers) that works with fatherless young men in the Los Angeles area: the work is quite rewarding & enjoyable. Concluding, to all you guys, I thank you for your friendship and , although I didn’t go thru Ole Ft Ben(as most of you guys did) I appreciated that you welcomed me when I transferred over to the 45th from the 94th HHB @ Kleber Kaserne.  I hope this email finds everyone in good health & spirits. SP5 Tom Heslin. Email:Trista...@gmail.com/Cell Phone=310-984-0685.

Gary Crutchfield

Aug 4, 2010, 6:00:15 PM8/4/10
to 45th-finan...@googlegroups.com
Tom,
It is good to hear from you and relive the good olde days in K-town. There are a few of us on face book if you would like to join us. I have been trying to locate Avery as he was from NC and I live in VA about 17 miles from the state line. We have two more Justice and Boness that do not have computers. I like contact by phone so if you want to sent me a number I will call you.
Gary

Tommy Heslin

Aug 5, 2010, 7:39:40 PM8/5/10
to 45th-finan...@googlegroups.com
.....Gary, thanks so much for your reply!! I was certainly hoping that one of you guys in the group would see my email & get back to me!!! Gary, from the pictures I certainly remember you. Again, those pictures sent me back to absolutely the best days of my life. Ole Avery was one of the most "kicked-back" dude I've ever met in my whole life: man, I think between Avery & Ralph ("Slow Man") Gardner if they ever had a race between molasses & those 2 guys up a hill the molasses would sure as hell win!!! I tried to find Avery on the web to no avail. I thought I found John Seraphin living in Virginia ( I think) writing editorials to a local newspaper. Sure, I'd love to hear from you......phone (Cell)=310-984-0685 (Address=553 No. Pacific Coast Highway, B-202, Redondo Beach, California 90277-2163. With you in VA & me in CA(3-hour time swing), best time to reach me is 8-9AM/PST.....11-12PM/EST. I'm going to check facebook out to join you guys (might need your help on that one-new to Facebook). Once again Gary, it was great hearing from you & I look 4ward to talking w/U. Cordially, Tom.
329.gif
330.gif
347.gif