K-town in the 60s

Dan Wheeler

Apr 26, 2006, 9:09:22 AM4/26/06
to 45th Finance Section
I served at 45th Fin Sec from Aug 1966- December 1967. Went to Finance
Schol with Doug Burnside who also served at the 45th. Major Ramey was
there when I was. I 1049'd to go to Viet man and was there from 1/3/68
to 12/31/68. While there, another 45th Fin Sec member came to my
unit----He was in the military pay section and his name was Gene and he
came from Chicago. I just can't remember his name. If my memory serves
me right I roomed on the top floor with Gary Crutchfield and Dave T (he
was from Cincinnati). We were across the room from a crazy guy who
re-upped and spent all of his bonus on the bar girls downtown. One of
my favorite restaurants downtown wan an Italian plance where you
feasted on Canneloni for 4 marks---$1! I remember the Gasthaus
restaurant down the street from the barracks. Certainly I remember
Cantwell, Serafin among others. Lt. Drayton was there also. I also
remember Avery answering the phone with his painstakingly slow intro. I
remember asking him why he talked so slow---he said "ain't no reason to
talk fast where I come from!"

John Cantwell

Apr 26, 2006, 2:22:03 PM4/26/06
to 45th Finance Section
Gene's name might have been Lierla or something like that. The guy
who re-upped was Ingrim (sp)

There was an Italian place on the square downtown that I think Dan is
referring to - that was great. I loved their lasagna - it was served
in a glass dish so hot that it would burn if touched, Also good pizzas
at Masimos. I visited K-town on a trip to Europe several years ago.
I actually went back to Panzer Kaserne. High security. They let me
and my wife in with just our passports. The buildings were still
there and looked the same, but the 45th had moved to Kleber Kaserne
long ago. I don't know if the 45th is still active. It was very
nostalgic to stand in the parade field and remember all the stuff that
went on there and the fun we had. I remember spending a good deal of
time a the bar upstairs. And that wonderful food at the mess hall
downstairs!

As for me, I worked in the marketing communications business for about
25 years. Writing, photography, graphic design, editing. Now I just
golf and fly fish and goof off.