Recommended Fountain Pen Inks

gtd2003

Jul 21, 2005, 10:06:51 AM7/21/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Based on everyone's recommendations, I've order a Lamy Safari as my
starter fountain pen. Now I'm wondering about inks. One person has
suggested the Higgins Eternal Ink. The description of that ink I read
on one web site says that it's "suitable for pens if thinned." What
does that mean? Anyone else have any recommendations for fountain pen
inks for a fountain pen newbie? Thanks!

Ken

Matthew Johnson

Jul 21, 2005, 10:23:38 AM7/21/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Noodler's dude. I use it on everything including crossword puzzles in
the paper. It's doesn't feather much on newsprint and not at all on a
Moleskine.

mhj

Robert Lynch

Jul 21, 2005, 11:02:59 AM7/21/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
On 7/21/05, gtd2003 <kenneth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One person has
> suggested the Higgins Eternal Ink. The description of that ink I read
> on one web site says that it's "suitable for pens if thinned." What
> does that mean?

Higging Eternal ink is a carbon ink, so it actually has particles in
it. Most fountain pen inks use a dye for color. I've never used a
carbon ink, so I don't know what trouble it might cause you. If you
let some dry up in your pen, it might be harder to clean than a
regular non-particulate ink.

I can't help much on choosing inks, since I've been using the same ink
(Waterman Florida Blue) for years. It's a washable ink, and I can
verify that it will wash clean off the page with water.

I have heard lots of pen people say good things about Noodler's ink,
so that would be probably be my first choice right now if I were
looking for a new ink. (When I run out of my current stash, I'll
probably pick a Noodler's.) Noodler's inks are available in a whole
rainbow of colors, and some of those inks are specially made to be
permanent. If you're worried about permanence, that may be the best
way to go.

More on Noodler's:
http://www.noodlersink.com/
http://www.pendemonium.com/ink_noodler_info.htm
http://www.stylophilesmagazine.com/current/june04/noodler.htm

--
Robert Lynch
robert...@gmail.com

Jeffrey Windsor

Jul 21, 2005, 5:04:56 PM7/21/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Highly recommended: read this thread, which includes some excellent
insight from the guy who created Noodler's, as well as some very
adamant ink users.

http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=10090

Also, avoid the Higgins unless you're doing "art." I have a number of
bottles of Higgins and other speciality inks I use with my speedball
nibs (dip pens for calligraphy). Very much _not_ an ink for daily use.
Unless you really like to do extra work and want black stains on
everything you own.

You'll do much better with any of the time-tested inks from any of the
big manufacturers; Parker Quink is easy to find and is a very good ink
(at a good price). I have a bottle of Schaeffer ink I've been using
lately, and it's quite nice itself. Waterman ink is easy to find as
well and works great.

I'll be putting in an order for my first Noodlers soon: tonight or
tomorrow. I'll let you know how they go.

--jw

Chris Lott

Jul 21, 2005, 6:09:19 PM7/21/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Noodler's Ink is somewhat controversial, as you will see. Similarly,
Private Reserve inks have a bad reputation in some circles. It's hard
to go wrong with Parker Quink, Waterman, or Sheaffers. I've used all
of them, including PR and Noodler's without problem, though I wouldn't
use PR in any clear/demo pens as they have been known to stain. Just
be sure it's fountain pen ink, not India Ink or Calligrapher's ink or
anything else that isn't water-based...

argonic

Jul 22, 2005, 11:30:41 AM7/22/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
I mainly use Waterman (purple and havana). I prefer their inks (the
colors at least) to Sheaffer, but the Sheaffer bottles have a mini ink
well which helps when loading ink as the bottle gets down to the last
1/3.

Graeme

Lance Orner

Jul 22, 2005, 1:41:19 PM7/22/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:23:38AM -0500, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> Noodler's dude. I use it on everything including crossword puzzles in
> the paper. It's doesn't feather much on newsprint and not at all on a
> Moleskine.

Yep, Noodler's Black. Most pen forums seem to recommend it. I got
some and it's very black, and very nice.

--
Lance Orner
la...@orner.net