Still around?

Morgan Young

Jan 3, 2015, 2:08:23 AM1/3/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone still in this group anymore?

David Rostenne

Jan 5, 2015, 10:42:49 AM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
Yep!

> On 3-January-2015, at 2:08 AM, Morgan Young <richard.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is anyone still in this group anymore?
>
> --

Lizza Monet Morales

Jan 5, 2015, 10:47:22 AM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
Yes sir!

On Friday, January 2, 2015, Morgan Young <richard.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
Is anyone still in this group anymore?

Simon Gooch

Jan 5, 2015, 10:56:24 AM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
Yep.

Shall we talk about GTD or something? :-)
Simon Gooch
M. 07590 672087

Michael Kallweitt

Jan 5, 2015, 11:31:38 AM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com

> Am 03.01.2015 um 08:08 schrieb Morgan Young <richard.m....@gmail.com>:
>
> Is anyone still in this group anymore?

Yep! 8)

Simon Gooch

Jan 5, 2015, 11:34:08 AM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
I can't really remember what the original aim of the group was? Are we to share our self management setups? I have a million questions about how other people manage themselves. I've fallen off every wagon I've ever got on!

Stavros Grivas

Jan 5, 2015, 11:59:44 AM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
Me too was looking around for long!!

However I finally settled with the following GTD (simple) set up to keep my digital life organized:

TickTick ToDo & Task List: This is the best productivity app in my opinion. A really superb app for all platforms (IOS/Android) including Web.
The excellent Trello for my software projects, and Evernote.

What are you using to get organized?

--
Best Regards,

Stavros Grivas
Mobile: +44 (0) 773 600 8463

This message is confidential and may also be legally privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately.
You must not copy this message or use it for any purpose, nor publish or disclose its contents to any other person.

Please consider the impact on the environment before printing this e-mail.

On 5 January 2015 at 16:17, Michael Kallweitt <M.Kal...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 03.01.2015 um 08:08 schrieb Morgan Young <richard.m....@gmail.com>:
>
> Is anyone still in this group anymore?

Yep! 8)

Simon Gooch
M. 07590 672087

Michael Kallweitt

Jan 5, 2015, 12:50:07 PM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
Am 05.01.2015 um 17:33 schrieb Simon Gooch <simon...@gmail.com>:

I can't really remember what the original aim of the group was? Are we to share our self management setups? I have a million questions about how other people manage themselves. I've fallen off every wagon I've ever got on!

This group is/was about Merlin Mann's "43 Folders" concept, as it's described here:

I'm not sure if Merlin ever was a member of this group, but I didn't get any news from him for a few months now.

Simon Gooch

Jan 5, 2015, 12:50:06 PM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
I've been using Omnifocus as my GTD app to manage my tasks and Evernote for reference material.

BUT, I always find myself thinking "it has to be better than this surely".  Very difficult to explain now I put it in black and white, but just a strong feeling that the system isn't good enough.

I tried Do It Tomorrow (Mark Forster) and I'm about to embark on Personal Agile using Trello funnily enough. I just dont think I've found the holy grail, and perhaps never will! (I estimate I've been looking for 20 years. Checked behind the sofa and everything).

:)

Mandaris Moore

Jan 5, 2015, 1:06:06 PM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
I think the hardest thing about using any kind of system like this is getting the habit and will power to use it.

I think we've all felt the joy of putting something into the newest fancy organizing system. The thrill of seeing stuff tagged and put into folders. The sense of accomplishment when you mark something off.

But it's really, it's you who has to push through after the honeymoon period is over if you want to make something last.

Personally, I'm having trouble with this because I can't use the tools that I know and love (Mac OSX) at work (Windows) and don't know how comfortable I feel using a web solution. At the end of the day, I'm fighting the urge to throw my hands in the air and say "forget it!"
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mailto:.

Buzz

Jan 5, 2015, 1:16:59 PM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
This is New Zealand, receiving you loud and clear.

Buzz
www.hillsidebandb.co.nz
A rural retreat just 40 minutes from the city

On 3/01/2015, at 8:08 pm, Morgan Young <richard.m....@gmail.com> wrote:

Is anyone still in this group anymore?

John SJ Anderson

Jan 5, 2015, 1:22:25 PM1/5/15
to 43 Folders
> This group is/was about Merlin Mann's "43 Folders" concept, as it's
> described here:

The tickler file was popularized (not invented, AFAIK) by David
Allen's Getting Things Done (GTD) book. Merlin named his
productivity-oriented site 43 folders based on the tickler file
concept.

The list was originally to discuss postings on the 43 folders weblog.
Merlin was on the list for a while, but left several years ago. I
volunteered to hang around and moderate the list.

Frankly, given that the 43 folders site is moribund (no postings since
2011), and that there are several other active (AFAIK) lists/forums to
discuss this sort of stuff, I was thinking of pulling the plug on this
list.

Opinions on that?

john,
list mom.

Buzz

Jan 5, 2015, 1:41:00 PM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com

I'm less fixated on having a system these days and get by with a very loose version of some of Michael Linenberger's stuff (MYN, 1MTD etc). I figure I have got this far (50s, middle management in local government, small business owner, father of four…) without too many stuff-ups, so I should stop worrying and learn to love the bomb.

More seriously, have focused on simplifying my life, removing stress where possible, looking at alternatives to the wage-slave 9-5 and just enjoying life outside work. Far from perfect but happy I'm on a journey of some sort!

Buzz
www.hillsidebandb.co.nz
A rural retreat just 40 minutes from the city

MSU Corey

Jan 5, 2015, 2:13:23 PM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com, richard.m....@gmail.com
Still here as well.  Nozbe for quadrants 1 and 2, Toodledo and yellow stickies for 3 and 4, Evernote for reference.

Galaxy Note and a pocket notebook as UCDs.  Zebra F-301 pen.  Fujitsu ScanSnap.

Forever awaiting Omnifocus for Windows/Droid (alas, day may never come)...and the revised GTD book out this March!

Lionel Valdellon

Jan 5, 2015, 9:51:24 PM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com, richard.m....@gmail.com
Didn't even know there was a revised GTD book this march!

Been using Wrike as my main tool for organizing tasks and projects, as well as collecting stuff (via Google Chrome extension), plus a combo of Evernote/ Google Keep for quick access to reference info I keep needing to access in a pinch.

~ Lionel

PeterG

Jan 5, 2015, 11:34:51 PM1/5/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Buzz,

"More seriously, have focused on simplifying my life, removing stress where possible, looking at alternatives to the wage-slave 9-5 and just enjoying life outside work."

Moving from London to eNZed would probably help on that front, no?

Pete

Buzz

Jan 6, 2015, 3:58:42 AM1/6/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
Pete

Indeed, the relocation was a major step on that front. The first five years didn't see much change (as I was still doing the same and expecting different outcomes, right?) but slow and steady changes since then has helped me side-shift (if not downshift), gain new perspectives and reprioritise stuff :-)

Buzz
www.hillsidebandb.co.nz
A rural retreat just 40 minutes from the city

AndyH

Jan 6, 2015, 7:31:27 AM1/6/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
Take it out into the yard and shoot it. The goup, not the members! Although I would be interested in hearing about alternetive AND recommended groups first thoughh :)

Stavros Grivas

Jan 6, 2015, 7:39:51 AM1/6/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com

I agree to this ☺

Another idea would probably be renaming the forum (maybe something to 'GTD xxxx' or anything?), to include the current members and any new members who are interested to discuss related ideas, methods and tools?

Just an idea.

--
Best Regards,

Stavros Grivas
Mobile: +44 (0) 773 600 8463

Sent using CloudMagic

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 1:31 PM, AndyH <Lerw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Take it out into the yard and shoot it.  The goup, not the members!  Although I would be interested in hearing about alternetive AND recommended groups first thoughh :)

Evan Edwards

Jan 6, 2015, 2:48:45 PM1/6/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com, sgr...@gmail.com

On Monday, January 5, 2015 10:59:44 AM UTC-6, stavrosgr wrote:

TickTick ToDo & Task List: This is the best productivity app in my opinion. A really superb app for all platforms (IOS/Android) including Web.
The excellent Trello for my software projects, and Evernote.

    I use TickTick and Trello enthusiastically as well.  I have converted my own company and our sister company to use Trello extensively.

    I have had problems with finding a solid documentation system.  I'm not a huge fan of Evernote because I distrust systems which won't allow me to export all my data in a common format.  I suppose I'm slowly circling in on using a Google Drive folder located with my Dropbox, giving me both ecosystems of apps, plus desktop programs.

    Consider me a vote to rename the mailing list to something more general and keep it as a resource for organizational tools, physical, electronic, and most of all, philosophical.  After awhile, the key elements become clear: gather to one point, prioritize and sort, execute each channel, and iterate.  These are roughly the same across all systems, and the tools that seem to be best in category are those that are streamlined to fit one or more parts of that cycle.  Getting some elements wrangled (managing people within the cycle) can be tricky, and I'd be interested in hearing how people are addressing those aspects using circa 2015 tools.

JHBoise

Jan 6, 2015, 3:01:06 PM1/6/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com, richard.m....@gmail.com
I'm still here—and have missed it! Any idea for other places to migrate to if this one is shuttered?

Janet

BigNosed UglyGuy

Jan 6, 2015, 4:43:23 PM1/6/15
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
I have faced the same question with another group I admin. There's little to no overhead in leaving the group as-is; it allows occasional reunions and sharing spaces (like this one) which are socially agreeable and can be informative without much at all on the downside.