filing nostalgia - what do you suggest?

JohnP

Apr 10, 2010, 8:35:00 AM4/10/10
to 43 Folders
OK. Decided to have a house declutter and keep on finding physical
nostalgia (e.g. postcards, photos,brochures, etc) of places/people
that I have been, seen and want to remember.

How should I file/keep these?
- scan them & put them on DVD
- put in old suitcase in garage
- throw them and use my memory
- mixture of any/all

What have you done and what works for you?

Bob Koss

Apr 10, 2010, 9:13:35 AM4/10/10
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
I scan to Evernote.

Sent from my iPhone

> --
> .

Crossmage

Apr 10, 2010, 11:40:36 AM4/10/10
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
+1 for scanning to Evernote

fighting flamingo

Apr 10, 2010, 3:20:39 PM4/10/10
to 43 Folders
Put them in a 3ring or 4ring binder (use plastic sleeves if need be)
or a filing cabinet. Add dividers or tabs that roughly indicate the
years and/or content.

If you want to convert it to something digital for easier access
that's ok but it's no replacement. Experience shows that current
systems cease to work/be supported, hard drives crash, etc

Digital is not permanent.

Mike De Bruyn

Apr 10, 2010, 5:15:04 PM4/10/10
to 43fo...@googlegroups.com
Scan to Evernote and take pictures of physical objects and save the digital copy.
Yes, that is always a concern.  I suspect that what is needed is a schedule of recopying digital material.  Only that way can you keep digital stuff fresh and on the latest media.  I still have some things on old 5.24" floppys and no reader to get at them.  Fortunately, what is on there is way past being of any interest to me.

--
Cheers,
Mike

TomD

May 11, 2010, 12:56:36 PM5/11/10
to 43 Folders
If you like to use Evernote try ONE thing to be sure that it is the
right software for you, try to get your stuff out of evernote (or be
sure to leave it there forever).
I'am not at all convinced to use it at all for something important.

I recently heard a conversation on http://macpowerusers.com/ with
Merlin Mann in which he described Evernote as his litterbox (his
wording was something like "it's for interesting stuff I from which i
think to know never to look on again". And I think that's right said.
I don't want to use Evernote for anything that is very important to me
and sould last forever.

For the rest, Mike is right (leave the stuff physical).