Onlife

Jeff Porten

Sep 14, 2005, 1:46:53 PM9/14/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
"Onlife is an application for the Mac OS X that observes your every interaction with sofware applications such as Safari, Mail and iChat and then creates a personal shoebox of all the web pages you visit, emails you read, documents you write and much more. Onlife then indexes the contents of your shoebox, makes it searchable and displays all the interactions between you and your favorite apps over time."  Beta freeware.

http://www.ethomaz.com/onlife/

JC

Sep 14, 2005, 4:15:03 PM9/14/05
to 43 Folders
I'd be deathly afraid all this information is being sent out somewhere.
Beware of free software - and I say this as an ex-Windows user who
should know better.

stangster

Sep 15, 2005, 10:26:15 AM9/15/05
to 43 Folders
Seems like an awesome little app. I'd wish it had NetNewsWire
Integration

dekay

Sep 15, 2005, 10:38:33 AM9/15/05
to 43 Folders
Just get LittleSnitch and forget your worries....

JoshD

Sep 16, 2005, 5:09:17 PM9/16/05
to 43 Folders
So long as it's a local thing, I really like the idea of tracking my
attention stream on the computer. Especially if I could interpret that
as an XML feed. Doubly especially if I could read that in Quicksilver.

This needs extensibility, though; I want it to catch what I've done
with QS, what images I've opened in my viewer of choice, and what I
open in TextMate and NetNewsWire. Add your own uses to the list.

How can I add J Random Application to the set of tracked applications?
Because it's not going to work, a freeware developer adding all the
apps that his users may possibly want to monitor. And an incomplete
attention stream is frustrating, not useful.

Just my opinion.

(Also, use Little Snitch. You don't know what's going on on your
machine otherwise... :))

inetguy

Sep 17, 2005, 10:56:20 AM9/17/05
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com

> (Also, use Little Snitch. You don't know what's going on on your
> machine otherwise... :))

This is great advice and it looks like a good program...Does anyone
know of a freeware app for OSX that does this? Always looking on the
cheap side of things first.

Thanks

Dennis

Michael Carvin

Sep 17, 2005, 11:51:18 AM9/17/05
to 43 Folders
It's free with the possibility of an Pro/Lite model in the future, and
stangster, the screenshot does have a NNW icon in it so maybe the next
version will support it?

I'm going to give it a shot here over the weekend and see how it does.
I'd love to use this at work, but I don't know how my 667 TiBook is
going to deal with it.

/first post to the group. hi everyone!

Steve Ivy

Jan 23, 2006, 6:36:53 PM1/23/06
to 43Fo...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I'm late to the party!

I recently started playing with OnLife - it *is* extensible via both
AppleScript and Objective-C. I've already created a plugin for
VoodooPad, and I'm working on iTerm and Illustrator right now.

http://redmonk.net/onlife-hacks

--Steve

--
Steve Ivy