Teaching Kids 3D CG...

Kurt at VR-FX

Feb 21, 2019, 8:38:42 PM2/21/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
So - here's the deal...

I've recently been teaching young kids, in these after school programs -
classes in 3D CG, programming, and even a class in MineCraft.

Now, I teach for this guy, his co. is called SiliconValley4U. And, he's
given me a set of 5 PC laptops to teach with. And, I currently teach
these classes at 2 locations.

For the 3D CG/3DP classes he has told me I can teach whatever I want
pretty much. So, although he had other SW installed - I installed
Sculptris - and taught that for the 1st couple of classes. But, I want
to try something different now. The programs they were teaching before
was Blender - as well as something called 3D Slash - a program I never
heard of. And, honestly - its total CRAP! I'm hesitant to try delving
into Blender - since I think it has a bit of a steep learning curve.

So - I want to know what some of you folks might suggest. Preferably
something I could pick up fairly quickly.

For instance - I have dabbled in Sketch-up in the past. And I know its
fairly easy to play with and pick it up quickly. So - I'm thinking of
putting that on the laptops and using it for my next couple of classes.

And - I definitely want something with a fairly standard type of UI. In
other words, not one of the CAD programs that's like doing programming -
even though I know there is the one free one that was picked up by
AutoDesk. And, of course, the program needs to run on a PC. Although,
for the one class I now teach - at the one facility they have a bunch of
Mac laptops - which I have started to use (doing Python on them, and
even Scratch). As such, it would actually be preferable if the program
works on Mac's and PC's! Not sure if Sketch-up does, but, I suspect
there IS a Mac version.

Anyway - let me know what you folks think!

-K-

Ryan Carlyle

Feb 21, 2019, 9:51:42 PM2/21/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
For kids to learn 3D graphics? Tinkercad or sketchup maybe.

Rich Webb

Feb 21, 2019, 9:57:42 PM2/21/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Take a look at BricsCAD Shape. It's their free offering and is actually a pretty decent 3D modeler. Uses the "direct modeling" paradigm instead of "history based." Handles regular standard DWG files (up through ACAD 2018) and can export models in STL format. It's targeted as an introductory BIM app ("building information management" i.e., architectural) but it also has the usual 3D drawing/modeling primitives. Windows, Mac, and Linux versions. Free is good.   ;-)

Kurt at VR-FX

Feb 21, 2019, 10:02:50 PM2/21/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback Ryan. Yeah - I figured Sketchup was a good option.

Not sure if I have tried TinkerCad before. I may have to look into it.
Am assuming it Does have a standard type interface - right?

-K-

Owen Collins

Feb 22, 2019, 10:15:52 AM2/22/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
TinkerCAD is completely Browser based, so you will need a constant internet connection. IT is very easy for people to pick up, I don’t know if it’s navigation and keyboard shortcuts line up with other programs.

O.

Kurt at VR-FX

Feb 22, 2019, 11:25:47 AM2/22/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
In that case - it won't work for me - as the one school doesn't have
internet. Def can't do browser based!

-K-

Owen Collins

Feb 22, 2019, 8:07:59 PM2/22/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I was afraid that might be the case. Sometimes school internet can be spotty or throttled, or I guess in your case, non existent.

Also they would have to have an email address to create an account. Some schools are picky about that depending on the age of the child.

Sent from my mobile device

Kurt at VR-FX

Feb 24, 2019, 11:34:56 PM2/24/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Yeah - email address requirement is definitely a NO GO! As well as
internet access, as I simply want something I can install on a PC or Mac
and runs as is...

But, thanks for your input!

-K-

P.S. I hate when this happens - I write an email reply, then, Damn - I
forgot to send it...