Pre-Order My Book!

Ryan Carlyle

Dec 10, 2018, 8:14:08 PM12/10/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
After years of work, my book is finally in press! You can pre-order here for 15% off early-bird discount: http://www.sublimepublications.com/

This is a book for anyone who designs, modifies, or maintains 3D printers. Which is everyone here, I think!

frontcover-tilt.png

The first round of printing is supposed to be done in 1-2 weeks, so it will ship soon. The early bird discount is planned to end at that point.

Table of contents for Volume 1:
Foreword (it opens with a quote from Jetguy, because hell yeah it does!)
1) Introduction
2) Machine Architectures
3) Popular Machine Architectures
4) Frame Construction
5) Popular Frame Types
6) Motion Hardware
7) Popular Motion Systems
Closing
Further Reading

I think most of y'all already know this, but yes, this is the first book in a whole series of 3-5 or more books. Volume 2 (Drivetrains) and Volume 3 (Stepper Motors) are fully written, but need illustrating and editing, and that takes a healthy while. So I think Volume 2 is maybe a year out. (I wouldn't wait on more volumes to come out before you buy; I wrote Vol 1 to be a good resource on its own.)

I'll post one more time when shipping starts, and then stop spamming y'all. Thanks to everyone here for years of interesting posts and discussions -- you were part of developing this book!

Kurt at VR-FX

Dec 10, 2018, 9:21:02 PM12/10/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Holy Crap dude - I read that - and I just Laughed my ASS OFF! Funny thing is - he is SO MIA - he may not read this posting for Weeks or Maybe MONTHS!!!

Does he know that you quoted him???

Damn Hysterical! Gotta love it!

-K-

Carlos Velez

Dec 11, 2018, 2:05:50 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Looks good. Got my copy in.

Brandon A.

Dec 11, 2018, 2:26:18 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Did you scheme up a way to get signed copies done?

That's a pretty crazy good value for all the time energy and knowledge packed into this thing.

Gary Crowell

Dec 11, 2018, 3:41:09 PM12/11/18
to 3dprintertipstricksreviews
Done.  But FYI, on my laptop, I wasn't getting a 'checkout' or cart option after pressing 'add to cart', just nuthin'.  Pop-up that was blocked maybe?  Worked ok on my desktop.

Gary

Gary A. Crowell Sr., P.E., CID+

Ryan Carlyle

Dec 11, 2018, 4:34:26 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Gary, no idea, will pass that on to publisher.

Michael Hackney

Dec 11, 2018, 5:18:52 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Gary, thanks for the feedback. I'm using a new (to me) e-commerce platform for SublimePublications. Not enough data/sales yet to know if there is a systemic issue. So far your's is the only problem report. I'll keep my eye on it and poke around the logs/etc to see if I find anything.

cheers,
Michael

mroek

Dec 11, 2018, 5:34:15 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
I ordered one, even if shipping to continental Europe is $25 USD. Looks like a great book, and because of your continued presence and helpful posts, I really think you deserve that we buy your book. And after hearing about it for so long, it will be nice to finally behold the product of your hard work. I hope it sells really well!

And I also had no issues with the purchase process, everything went smoothly.

Michael Hackney

Dec 11, 2018, 5:39:21 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
The shipping cost is totally outside of my control - BUT unlike a lot of vendors I do not mark up shipping (I do round to the nearest dollar to keep it simple). Shipping costs have crept up over the last 10 years. I used to be able to send books to Europe for $12. But fuel prices and regulations (customs, etc) lead to the shippers increasing prices.

We took the shipping price into consideration when we priced the book. Unfortunately, we don't get any of the shipping but hopefully the total end price isn't too high for our International customers. It is a 370 page book after all!

Cheers,
Michael

Owen Collins

Rich Webb

Dec 11, 2018, 6:41:44 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
While you're here ... May I suggest that the order page for the book include a note that the PayPal transaction will be on behalf of "The Eclectic Angler"? I had a moment "Oh f*** I've been hacked" until I checked the About link linked from the book's page. Thanks!

Owen Collins

Dec 11, 2018, 6:45:15 PM12/11/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Oh, mine mentioned that somewhere along the line. Maybe it needs to be more prominent?

Sent from my iPhone

Michael Hackney

Dec 11, 2018, 6:53:04 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
I'll see what I can do. It is listed in the footer of every page. If I can work it into the cart process I will.

Michael Hackney

Dec 11, 2018, 6:56:22 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
It is also prominent on the About page. The checkout process is not very malleable so I'm not sure what I can do but I'll investigate further.

Rich Webb

Dec 11, 2018, 9:19:05 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Roger that. I did see it on the About page, so no worries there. I was just expecting to see SublimePublications and having something else pop up caused a minor UhOh moment.

Dushyant Ahuja

Dec 11, 2018, 9:27:38 PM12/11/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Ordered - though shipping to UK at $25 is a bummer. Have you thought of ring up with the likes of Amazon?

Michael Hackney

Dec 11, 2018, 9:31:58 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Unfortunately, Amazon's pricing prevents small publishers like me from selling on Amazon.

intensecomp

Dec 11, 2018, 9:52:54 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Great. To show my support and thanks for your help over the years, I have ordered a copy.

Ryan Carlyle

Dec 11, 2018, 10:03:42 PM12/11/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
I am vaguely hopeful we can find some 3DP vendors outside the US who want to resell it so we can ship in batches and get delivered costs down. Would have to prove demand first though.

E-books will be more economical outside the US, but due to piracy issues we’re not going to launch digital copies before selling some physical books. I hope y’all understand. There’s also some details to sort out around open source license compliance on a lot of the photos included in the book. When you really get into the strict legal license language on CC-SA etc it’s quite a bit of work to 100% properly put open source images within a larger work that is not open source. (Yes the licenses allow that, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through.)

$25 to Europe does hurt, but to be fair it IS a 370 page full-color book containing years of research :-)

We’ll keep working on options for overseas folks in any case.

Joseph Ecker

Dec 14, 2018, 3:33:01 AM12/14/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Congrats, Ryan!  Just placed my order :-)

Ryan Carlyle

Dec 14, 2018, 11:24:12 AM12/14/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Here’s a secret link to get an autographed copy: http://www.sublimepublications.com/store/p2/3DPE-autograph.html

Notes:
- Adds some S&H cost and delivery time
- Limit 25 total (the repack/reship is too much work to do an unlimited number)
- Offer ends after the pre-order window (but I’ll be at MRRF 2019 with a pen)
- If you already pre-ordered, just check out with this and Michael will get it matched to your existing order. Or you can add this AND the book to your cart at the same time.

This is a new thing, let me know if you have website issues or anything.

Kurt at VR-FX

Dec 15, 2018, 9:13:40 PM12/15/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Ryan - so, I was on the phone with JetGuy this afternoon. And, at one point - I brought up about you going to MRRF. Then I remembered this posting - and I told him that YOU Quoted him! He then admitted he never got around to reading your book and giving you some feedback - so he did NOT even know you Quoted him!!! Kinda funny really...

But, yeah - that's how crazy busy he was!

-K-

Carlos Velez

Jan 29, 2019, 11:10:59 AM1/29/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Did the book start shipping?

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 29, 2019, 11:19:47 AM1/29/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Yes. And, several folks on the other forum already got the book. You should probably be getting yours soon -  based upon what I read from the others.

-K-

Carlos Velez

Jan 29, 2019, 11:32:25 AM1/29/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Great, thanks for the update.

Michael Hackney

Jan 29, 2019, 12:03:47 PM1/29/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Carlos, I'm the publisher. USPS says your book was delivered on January 26 at 5:56am to your PO Box 2190. The address was verified when I created the label. Check with your post office please.

regards,
Michael

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 11:32:25 AM UTC-5, Carlos Velez wrote:
Great, thanks for the update.

Carlos Velez

Jan 29, 2019, 12:10:46 PM1/29/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
sure enough. At the post office right now to pick up another package and have it in my hand. thank you

Michael Hackney

Jan 29, 2019, 12:44:24 PM1/29/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
You could have been reading it for 3 days! Glad it got there, thanks for the update.

Michael

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 29, 2019, 12:50:52 PM1/29/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Now There's an OOPS for you!!!

:-)

And - Michael - its good to see your posting. Its the 1st publisher I have seen here on the forum. I suspect you already know who I am - and that its my Dragon that's featured in the book!

-K-

Dushyant Ahuja

Jan 29, 2019, 2:47:06 PM1/29/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Got mine yesterday.
Looks good

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 29, 2019, 3:49:43 PM1/29/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Cool! And, of course, something that YOU 3D Printed (and embedded LED's & an Arduino) - is featured in the book!

-K-

Dushyant Ahuja

Jan 29, 2019, 3:57:52 PM1/29/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Yes - saw that. Looks awesome.

Michael Hackney

Jan 29, 2019, 10:00:45 PM1/29/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Yes Kurt, that was a challenging page to layout. I'm actually a 3D printing practitioner myself but own a couple of businesses related to fly fishing and a fly fishing book publishing company. I wanted to branch out into "maker" topics like 3D printing and laser. I \'ve been working on a 3D printing book as well as Ryan's 3 volume set.

cheers.
Michael

Michael Hackney

Jan 29, 2019, 10:04:08 PM1/29/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
It turns out that the book came in over 2 pounds. My estimate was below 2 and I charged $25 for shipping to Europe and the UK. But the extra weight put the shipping at $35. I ate the increase for those customers that pre-purchased but the shipping cost to Europe is now around $35 US unfortunately.

Michael

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 29, 2019, 10:08:28 PM1/29/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Hey there Michael,

Thanks so much for the feedback. And, great job helping Ryan with the book. Ryan's a great guy - and always helpful in this forum!

-K-

Ryan Carlyle

Feb 5, 2019, 9:56:42 AM2/5/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews