3D Printed Chair for Client

Kurt at VR-FX

Aug 21, 2018, 12:30:10 PM8/21/18
to 3dprintertipstricksreviews
Yeah - this project has been a bit of a Nightmare for me! Literally
wasted 3 days trying to print parts after client gave me approval. I
wanted to print in ABS - then do the supports removal - and finally
Acetone Vapor bath to make Awesome looking pieces. But, all I got was
Epic fails. Worse yet - at one point - I decided to print on my SSys
Mojo all the parts - only to have my Mojo FAIL to print ANYTHING. It
kept getting errors - several errors claiming hot end problems -
meanwhile - its attached to the Spool/Cartridge. In one case - I put in
a Brand new Support material cartridge -and STILL got errors!

And - prints done on the D6 - the tree like supports and the prints in
general were coming out like SHIT!

In the end - I took a suggestion of a buddy of mine - who does 3D but
not 3DP. He suggested cutting parts in half. This way - I would have a
flat surface - and done right, None  of the parts would require
Supports! Which is what I did. And, finally, things worked out. But, its
a Nail Biter - as I'm printing last piece now - the chair seat - cut in
2 - and its schedule to finish at like 2pm. And, I still then need to do
final assembly and Meet the client here on Long Island between 3-4pm at
a hotel. Ugh...

Just TOO Damn Stressful!

Will follow-up in a minute from my Cell with a Pic!

-K-

Kurt Wendt

Aug 21, 2018, 12:31:16 PM8/21/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
0821181223b.jpg

Richard Beck

Aug 23, 2018, 10:29:08 AM8/23/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Looks good, sometimes, as in this case, a different pair of eyes from a “Non-expert” in the field is all it takes! Congrats!

Kurt at VR-FX

Aug 23, 2018, 10:36:02 AM8/23/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Richard!

Its kinda funny. I met up with the client Tues. afternoon. But, it was a
Major Rush job. I was trying to have the chair fully assembled for them.
However - that didn't happen. So, I brought it partially assembled and
all the parts. The guy really liked it. And, you should have seen him -
playing with the parts like a toy. Even trying to stack them - to figure
how they would stack as tightly as possible - for the purposes of
shipping the full sized pieces. Sadly - he admitted he forgot to bring
me a check. So - he sent one overnight to me - and I should get it
today. And, then, I will be giving the parts to his COO - who will be in
the area today - as he drives back from a client in Maine on his way
back to Central PA. I even decided to re-print the main seat part - so I
could enlarge the holes - and slightly shrink the channel connections on
the sides - all to make chair assembly easier. That guy - when I see him
today - he will also love seeing this stuff!

I'm going to finish doing a basic assembly of the chair shortly. At that
point - I WILL Send some pics of the assembled chair!!!

Thanks again for your feedback and kind words.

-K-

Kurt Wendt

Aug 23, 2018, 6:23:23 PM8/23/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Assembled chair, with beer can next to it for scale!

0823181809a.jpg

Steven Butterfield

Aug 23, 2018, 7:40:38 PM8/23/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Either that's a really small chair or you have a really big can of beer.

Kurt Wendt

Aug 23, 2018, 7:59:55 PM8/23/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Very funny, hahaha!

 Actually, for a 3D printed piece, it's a pretty big kind of chair. And of course, the can is a regular size can of beer, and it's a good one in case you've never tried it before!

Richard Beck

Aug 24, 2018, 1:54:58 PM8/24/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Turned out nice. so is this going to get scaled up to full size for roto molding?

JF Kansas

Aug 24, 2018, 2:44:28 PM8/24/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
What's the white splooge at the lower right? lol Was he that excited?

Chair looks good.

Hugh Johnson

Aug 24, 2018, 3:07:56 PM8/24/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
The chair is indeed awesome, great job Kurt btw! But looks like it’s the hot tub cover... that alone could explain the splooge. ;)

Thanks,
Hugh Johnson

Kurt Wendt

Aug 24, 2018, 3:34:45 PM8/24/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Hey there mr. Really big Johnson!

 You guys made me laugh with this stuff, not only you but Mr Kansas! And, you are correct, that is the cover on my hot tub! How did you guess? And Mister Kansas, that's pretty funny calling it a splooge! I'm sitting here at a restaurant Long Island eating food and drinking beers, and laughing at these crazy messages & I had to show it to him!!!

And, by the way, I posted the wrong damn picture! I had a picture which was smaller and cropped, and did not have the splooge in it! Oh well, laugh and learn...

-K-

Kurt at VR-FX

Aug 24, 2018, 4:22:12 PM8/24/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Actually - current situation is just the opposite! I designed it Full Scale - and then I scaled it Down just to 3DP it!

Glad you liked it. Sorry again for the Splooge...

:-)

-K-

On 8/24/2018 1:54 PM, Richard Beck wrote:
Turned out nice. so is this going to get scaled up to full size for roto molding?

Kurt at VR-FX

Aug 24, 2018, 4:24:20 PM8/24/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Its funny -- since I originally did NOT realize I sent out the wrong pic. I took several pics - then I did an edit to one of them - to crop it down. Then one I sent to the forum here by mistake was NOT the Cropped pic! Thus the Splooge Excitement!

Were U More excited by the Splooge or by the Chair? Seems more like the former than the latter...

-K-

Russ Taber

Aug 25, 2018, 8:50:42 AM8/25/18
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Nice work. Founders in brewed in my town. Was in their mug club years ago before they moved to their current facilities. Phenomenal growth. Their building keeps growing and growing.

Kurt at VR-FX

Aug 25, 2018, 11:24:14 AM8/25/18
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Wow - cool. Yeah - its good stuff. I know what you mean about Mug Club -
as there is a small brewery near me - and they have a mug club too.

And - thanks for your compliment!

-K-

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 21, 2019, 5:11:19 PM1/21/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Hey there Huge,

Thanks again for your compliments on my chair prototype.

I just wanted to do a quick follow-up to this thread. You see, communications with that client had dropped after I moved to Cali. Pretty sad, since they originally claimed they wanted me to work on a Bunch of projects - and they would eventually be keeping me pretty busy.

Well - I push back recently, and finally got a proper reply. Sadly - turns out they Suck at running part of their biz - so, the chair I designed - they ran out of money for that project! So - nothing further is going to happen with it!!! Yeah - it REALLY Sucks - as it would have been my 1st true product design brought to public market. Oh well...

-K-

tray

Jan 21, 2019, 5:22:54 PM1/21/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
As long as you were paid before they ran out of money. Plus, they might be good for references or spreading your name around.